Why has the USAA suddenly started disabling itself with a root checker?

Highlighted
koloradokid
Contributor
Every other banking app I use allows it to run on a rooted device (Chase, CapitalOne, Barclay's US, PayPal). Due to how I use my phone, unrooting is not an option. I called technical support and was told that I'm out of luck - sucks to be me. Why is USAA willing to drive away long term customers by such an asinine and worthless action?

Most Helpful

We understand that not being able to access the USAA Mobile App can be frustrating. We’re committed to providing you the best experience while ensuring your financial information is secure. While the decision to root a device is entirely up to the end user, USAA can’t put our app on a device that puts the larger membership at risk. We are focused on system-wide security to protect all members and the association. Cybercrime is an unfortunate reality in today’s environment, and it is a shared responsibility to fight this battle together. Should our members decide to continue using a rooted device for their personal needs, we recommend using usaa.com to manage their accounts. -Cynthia

34 REPLIES

Hello @koloradokid , I am not familiar with the "rooted" term you are referring to. I know it can be frustrating when your device can't work the way you would like it to. I can forward your feedback. Can you verify your name for me please? ~ Suzy

The error message is as follows:
"Error. Your device appears to be rooted. For security reasons, the USAA Mobile App has been disabled. Please restore your device to its factory settings or use usaa.com."
I've been running rooted phones for years and this is the first time you have restricted me for it. It's utter foolishness.

I will verify my identity privately, if there is some way to do that.

You can send a PM by selecting the drop down menu next to your name at the top right of the screen and select "Send new Message" by clicking the envelope icon in the same drop down.  ~ Suzy

Hey friend, I'm in the same boat.
To my fellow devs, modders, romers, and the op, a workaround is to use USAA beta app.
For the social media person who can't Google the term rooted, rooting reverts to a process through which a phone's user gains permanent "sudo" superuser access to the linux shell behind Android's operating system. It is the standard way for developers within the community to modify their phone and perform system level repairs and optimizations. Back in the mid 2000s, people didn't understand it, and many companies treated rooters as criminal or vulnerable to attack. USAA has recently disabled it's app for rooted users. We'd like you to reverse this poor decision, as it is draconian to say the least.

@DougJr Thank you so much for sharing of of this helpful information. Your feedback is valuable to us as we strive to provide products and services to meet our members' needs. I am sharing your comments with our product management team. We appreciate your membership and loyalty. ~Dana

@DougJr
Where can one find the beta app?

@koloradokid, please see my reply sent via private message. Thank you. -Paula

No longer an option...the USAA Beta app is closed.

We understand that not being able to access the USAA Mobile App can be frustrating. We’re committed to providing you the best experience while ensuring your financial information is secure. While the decision to root a device is entirely up to the end user, USAA can’t put our app on a device that puts the larger membership at risk. We are focused on system-wide security to protect all members and the association. Cybercrime is an unfortunate reality in today’s environment, and it is a shared responsibility to fight this battle together. Should our members decide to continue using a rooted device for their personal needs, we recommend using usaa.com to manage their accounts. -Cynthia