Thanks_Dad
Occasional Contributor

USAA announced a new API integration initiative in July of 2018 to enable integrations with financial services like Finicity and Intuit's Mint, QuickBooks, and TurboTax. I can see a "Connected Apps" grid in my Security settings, but it is empty and there is no "Add" option. What is the status of this project? If it is not live, is there an expected go-live date? Thanks. 

USAA Providing Safer, More Efficient Approach to Data-SharingJuly 2018

USAA’s recent agreements with financial management company Intuit and data aggregator Finicity are part of the company’s latest step to secure financial data for its members. The companies will use an application programming interface (API) that will eventually eliminate the need for members to share their credentials through third-party apps. Instead, members will be redirected to USAA to provide consent and confirm what data they want to share. A dashboard will allow them to manage third-party app access whenever they choose. Using the API will allow USAA members to more easily access and manage their financial data, which is even more important for its military members who may not have easy access to a financial institution. The company plans to roll this capability out to members throughout 2018 and 2019.

“Our members increasingly require access to their data and wish to share that information with a host of third parties,” said Melissa Ehresman, USAA vice president of Enterprise Digital Experiences. “USAA wants to give our members control over what information is shared and how it is done while maintaining the security of their login credentials.”

USAA entered into its first data-sharing agreement last year with Finicity, a provider of real-time financial data aggregation and insights. The API will allow USAA members to share their information with third party applications that leverage Finicity’s data platform without having to share their USAA user name and password.

“Finicity is committed to ongoing advances in data access, data quality and data intelligence so we can deliver the insights customers need to make better financial decisions,” said Finicity CEO Steve Smith. “USAA pursues similar goals and has demonstrated a strong commitment to their members’ ability to access and use their data to manage their finances.”

The agreement with Intuit means USAA members will be able to integrate their USAA accounts with Intuit products such as Mint, Turbo, TurboTax and QuickBooks.
Tags (3)

Most Helpful

Hi @Thanks_Dad ,

Here is the additional information I promised:

Thanks for reaching out. We are currently in the process of integrating with Intuit and Finicity, with the timing and rollout of the new solution being driven by their teams. Intuit has already incorporated the USAA API solution with their Quickbooks products and we expect them to begin updating Mint in the months to come. Also, please note that the USAA security settings will only show apps that you’ve connected through the 3rd party application itself. Once you establish a connection, the USAA dashboard will allow you to revoke access for your convenience and security. Let us know if you have any follow up questions and we’ll continue to work with different providers to implement a solution that offers the protection our members demand.

I hope this brings some clarity @Thanks_Dad . Thanks again for posting here in community.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES

Hi @Thanks_Dad 

I am checking on a more in depth answer to your question! Thanks in advance for your patience as I track this down.

Hi @Thanks_Dad ,

Here is the additional information I promised:

Thanks for reaching out. We are currently in the process of integrating with Intuit and Finicity, with the timing and rollout of the new solution being driven by their teams. Intuit has already incorporated the USAA API solution with their Quickbooks products and we expect them to begin updating Mint in the months to come. Also, please note that the USAA security settings will only show apps that you’ve connected through the 3rd party application itself. Once you establish a connection, the USAA dashboard will allow you to revoke access for your convenience and security. Let us know if you have any follow up questions and we’ll continue to work with different providers to implement a solution that offers the protection our members demand.

I hope this brings some clarity @Thanks_Dad . Thanks again for posting here in community.

View solution in original post

Thanks for the update, I hope Mint and other providers will be integrated soon. I've seriously considered switching banks just so I can use modern tools to track spending, which is a scary thought for me!

Hello @Thanks_Dad and thank you for this feedback. We definitely do not want to see you go. 

I hope this brings some clarity. Thanks again for posting here in community. Have a wonderful day! ~Sarah