During a move you should always have your important documents packed with you and NOT with the movers. I suggest while you are organizing these items, you prepare an emergency binder that can be used not only during a PCS, but also in the event that there is a natural disaster or unexpected crisis.
For your move you will need to gather the following items:
- Insurance and banking documents
- Savings bonds*
- Stock certificates*
- Vehicle and Property Titles*
- Marriage License
- Copy of your home inventory
- Children's school records
- Birth certificates*
- Social security cards*
- Copy of your drivers license and military identification
- Power of attorney
- Medical records
- Pet documents: immunization records, medical history
*while not PCS-ing I recommend these items be kept in a safety deposit box
To make this an emergency binder add:
- Evacuation plan for fire, plan for tornado or other natural disaster
- Family photo
- Individual pictures of each member of your family
- Emergency Contact list
- Nearest Hospital (include pet hospital too)
- Family Doctors number
- Contact information for immediate family
- Insurance companies contact information and insurance policy numbers
Here are some great examples of Emergency Kits!
Your Own Home Store provides free printouts to help you complete your binder!
- Household Diva shows the more fun side of a PCS binder!
What did I miss!? What do you ensure is in your family's PCS binder or emergency plan?