Drive Sharp Program

Drive Sharp Program

MUSKY's avatarMUSKYOccasional Visitor

I applaud USAA and their online Drive Sharp driving safety course.
I am a retired Airline Pilot and believe aviation's enviable safety record has been achieved because of a culture that requires recurrent training
on a continuing basis.

40,000 plus people die each year in automobile accidents. Drive Sharp and online programs that are sure to follow will change the "culture" within the automobile industry that allows this to happen.

USAA's leadership in this area doesn't suprise me. Tom Dawes

Re: Drive Sharp Program

BrianaHartzellUSAA's avatarBrianaHartzellUSAACommunity Manager

Thank you! We are glad you appreciate this program!

For those of you with questions about Drive Sharp, you can read more about the program here

CookieStokes's avatarCookieStokesOccasional Visitor

I have a positive testimony for the DriveSharp program even though it was very tedious when I was taking it and I always felt like a failure.  I drove from Dallas to Austin on Sunday night, December 8.  This was the weekend of the big ice storm in Dallas.  Only the one center lane was open on I-35.  Me and the 18-wheelers kept a steady pace in the two brown tire tracks all the way to Waco.  My low Honda would occassionally scrape bottom on the center ice build up.  South of Waco in a very dark stretch of highway the outer lane had been cleared.  I cautiously pulled into it to pass a truck.  Something unconciously caused me to turn my headlights onto bright.  As soon as I did I saw a dark gray car with no lights broadside in front of me.  It had crashed into the center wall.  I just had time to pull in front of the truck and swerve around the crossways car to avoid a collision.  Downstream there were 2 other involved vehicles and an emergency vehicle was headed toward the scene on the opposite side of the road.  This was in a zone with no shoulders.  It all happened so very fast, but in thinking back on it I think I had subconciously noticed that the stripe about a foot out from the center wall had disappeared.  That's why I turned on my bright lights.

BrianaHartzellUSAA's avatarBrianaHartzellUSAACommunity Manager

CookieStokes, I am so glad you are alright and made it out of that scary situation unscathed!

PositivelyGrandma's avatarPositivelyGrandmaNew Member

This seems like such a great idea on the surface.  However, the statements made by USAA regarding this service are contradictory.

"Our goal is to help you drive safer."

and

"MEMBER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT USAA DOES NOT GUARANTEE (i) SAFER DRIVING WILL RESULT FROM USE OF THE SERVICE, (ii) THE SERVICE WILL PREVENT HIGH-RISK EVENTS, UNSAFE DRIVING, COLLISIONS OR OTHER EVENTS, and (iii) .... THE MEMBER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES ... THAT (I) USE OF THE SERVICE MAY BE DISCOVERABLE IN A LAWSUIT AS A RESULT OF AN AUTOMOBILE EVENT OR SUBPOENAED BY A GOVERNMENT AGENCY, (II) NOT ALL DATA RECORDED BY THE SERVICE WILL BE AVAILABLE TO MEMBER, AND ..."

If USAA was truly concerned about helping us to be safer drivers only, it would NOT ALLOW THE SERVICE TO STORE PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE data, like is required by HIPPA.  There is too much legaleeze here that says, "We don't really care about your privacy or have another reason not to protect it."

I won't be signing up for this, even though it sounds like a great idea.  For those of you who have already gone through the program, someone else already owns your scroes and test data.  It is unclear to me if that is USAA or a third party.