Highlighted

Credit Card Hold

Credit Card Hold

ohiogirl67's avatarohiogirl67Visitor

To date I've been a very satisfied USAA customer. As a matter of fact, I encourage all veterans I know to check out USAA. I even got one person to switch insurance to USAA. Happy as a clam, I am. There is one exception... I recently paid my credit card bill and a couple of days later I tried to use my card. To my embarassment, the clerk indicated the card was declined. I checked online and found where I had indeed paid the bill but only had $3 available. Huh?? Turns out USAA put a 7 (SEVEN) day hold on my payment. Maybe I missed the "fine print" but I didn't realize there would be a hold on a payment if I made the payment using a different bank account than USAA. Ok, well, now my money is in cyberspace....already gone from my bank account. I can understand a "hold", but SEVEN days? God created the world in less time. In this day and age with everything being electronic, what if USAA changed it's hold to THREE days? This has really left me in a bind.

Re: Credit Card Hold

[ Edited ]

WEBSITE GURU's avatarWEBSITE GURUTrusted Contributor

ohiogirl67;

From your post it sounds like you used Bill Pay to pay your credit card using a linked bank checking account that was not USAA.

The REASON for the 7-Day Hold is that using a linked bank checking account instead of your USAA Checking Account results in a BANK FUNDS TRANSFER ACTION which would be needed to completed FIRST before USAA could complete your Bill Pay Action.

The following question and answer from the Funds Transfers FAQ found here should answer your 7-Day Hold Question.

------------------------------

Q: Once I initiate a transfer, how soon will my funds be available?

A: All transfers are subject to a hold. We may hold all or part of the funds transfer up to five business days. Funds transfers submitted after 3 p.m. CT are considered the next business day and will extend the hold period by one business day.

Funds are available:

• The same day to cover checks, pre-authorized transactions and ATM or debit card use between USAA Federal Savings Bank (FSB) checking and savings accounts before 8 p.m. CT, Monday to Friday, and to cover USAA Brokerage investment trading.
  • The previous business day for future-dated or automatic transfers that fall on a weekend or bank holiday.
  • In 3 to 5 business days for non-USAA account transfers to USAA deposit accounts.
  • In up to seven calendar days for USAA Investment Accounts when checks or electronic funds transfers are received.

------------------------------

**Remember "business day" means Monday through Friday and excludes weekends. 

I hope I have helped.

Popular Topics