Check description

Check description

BamaBlitz's avatarBamaBlitzNew Member

I was just wondering, why is it that when you go to your checking account summary and where a check has been written it doesn't automaticaly place the Payee name in the Check Description? This would make it so much eassier to identifiy the check rather than first opening the check icon to view a copy of the check. I personally would love to see this instead of having to manually type in the name everytime. :-)

Just a thought and suggestion

HELP: Why Doesn't Billpay Transactions That Result In Paper Checks Show Payee? (ANSWERED)

[ Edited ]

WEBSITE GURU's avatarWEBSITE GURUTrusted Contributor

BamaBlitz

1. When USAA processes a PAPER CHECK as a result of a DEPOSIT (like Deposit@Home, Deposit@Mobile, etc.), or as a result of a BILLPAY action, then the Description shown in the Transaction History will show either:

• Deposit@Home or Deposit@Mobile, etc. like this.

USAA_Transaction_Search_2.png
    (Image Created by WEBSITE GURU)

• Or a Check Number similar to this.

USAA_Transaction_Search_3.png

2. In either case, the CHECK ICON (noted by Red Arrow in figures above) will be displayed and when clicked on will display the CHECK (both front and back) which you can either save (image) or print.

3. Currently there is no way, other than manually, to change the Description of a PAPER CHECK.

4. Your idea of "Automaticaly place the Payee name in the Check Description" is a GREAT SUGGESTION.

Here is what I recommend.

If you have a GREAT SUGGESTION or FEEDBACK then click here to start the process of telling USAA all about it.

Keep those ideas coming.

Re: HELP: Why Doesn't Billpay Transactions That Result In Paper Checks Show Payee? (ANSWERED)

saoirsephoto's avatarsaoirsephotoNew Member

How far back are those images retained and can the information on the check scan be brought up by a customer service representative if it's no longer available on the normal customer portal?

Re: HELP: Why Doesn't Billpay Transactions That Result In Paper Checks Show Payee? (ANSWERED)

[ Edited ]

WEBSITE GURU's avatarWEBSITE GURUTrusted Contributor

saoirsephoto;

1.  Q: "How far back are those images retained?"

As far back as the SEARCH FUNCTION will allow you. **(see Paragraph 3 below)

USAA_Transaction_Search_1.png

• Enter Check or Deposit@ in Description Field and enter Date Range (From .. To).

• Then click on SEARCH BUTTON.

2. Q: "Can the information on the check scan be brought up by a customer service representative if it's no longer available on the normal customer portal?"

Two assumptions here:

• First, I believe that the Member will be able to view Cancelled Scanned Checks up to 7 years old online.

• HOWEVER, should there be a problem, and it has be 7 years or less since the Cancelled Scanned Checks was received by USAA, then I believe that the USAA's Member Service Representatives should be able to help.

3. Lastly, IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE, I do not know what USAA's retention policy is for Cancelled Scanned Checks, however in general the industry standard for Cancelled Checks (general, payroll, payroll-related taxes), also known as "truncated checks", is 7 years in accordance with the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), Article 4, Section 4-406.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

JK334's avatarJK334Senior Member

WEBSITE CURU stated: Currently there is no way, other than manually, to change the Description of a PAPER CHECK. When I view my checking account register on USAA.COM, I do not see an option to manually change the description. I see only options to view the check image or print the transaction. Like BamaBlitz, I would also like to see the payee name appear automatically in the description field.