Highlighted

Life lock and similar

Life lock and similar

Beachcomber111's avatar User  Beachcomber111  (Opens a pop up layer) Occasional Visitor

As a long time usaa member with a financial account I have been relying on usaa to secure my account...but I have seen so much advertising about life lock and similar....does anyone have an opinion? Is this extra service worth extra money every month or does usaa provide the same level of protection at no extra cost. I have received several calls over the years when I have made unusual purchases so I know my credit card is being watched carefully...but what about identity theft?

Re: Life lock and similar

Da'man's avatar User  Da'man  (Opens a pop up layer) Occasional Visitor

I have been a member of Lifelock for three years and it is the best PERIOD; when it comes to protecting your credit cards, and (potential identity theft)  there is nothing to compare.  When any application is made for credit, they have contacted me within hours of completing an app then you are notified wanting to now if it's you are someone else?

Last fall, someone tried to use my wife's name and ss for a car and when they notified us to see if it was her (it wasn't her) and they got right on it and stopped it before they could get her identity.  I would pay them 500 a year for there service cause I know I'm covered.

n8tureboy's avatar User  n8tureboy  (Opens a pop up layer) Regular Contributor

I wouldn't bother with a "credit monitoring" service such as LifeLock.

Here's what I would do however: Do a Credit Freeze and sign up for a free credit monitoring service such as Credit Karma.

neveshartstudio's avatar User  neveshartstudio  (Opens a pop up layer) Visitor

i'm diving into the Lifelock soon because Crooks are having to be smarter & smarter to break into peoples identity... you're right they watch the accounts... but Crooks are posers & they can get your info & pose as USSA reps. this has happened 2 me recently & not all Emails are authentic... i am advocating it... Identity theft is traumatic. i want 2 give USAA every advantage 2 protect my money & livelihood.

Marcus74's avatar User  Marcus74  (Opens a pop up layer) Occasional Visitor

I had LifeLock for a few years, until I learned they just go and do a credit freeze on your acounts and you pay them to do that. You can do it yourself for free.

Debtxpert's avatar User  Debtxpert  (Opens a pop up layer) Visitor

Do not waste your money on these credit services. All you need to do is add a fraud alert to your credit report for 7 years at a time via each bureaus raid protection dept which can easily be found on their sites. It's free and in order for a lender to approve a new trade line, they must first call you to confirm by contacting you at the number you list on your credit report via the internal fraud dept. No fraud attempts are required to do this. All you need to do is tell them you expect someone to make an attempt. That's all. It's free and no 3 rd party involved having to contact you. Purchasing one of these credit protection things is a scam. It's a nice chunk of change for these guys each month for doing nothing. Best of luck!

alegaleagle's avatar User  alegaleagle  (Opens a pop up layer) New Member

I would normally say LifeLock is not necessary but read the following:

Our ID's were stolen last month and one of the things we discovered is that the ID thief re-directed my Credit Karma account to a new gmail account that was not ours by apparently going through the "forgot my password" process and then changing our challenge questions to ones we did not know the answers to.  Credit Karma, like most non-service oriented organizations (they are really just an "upseller" of other products that baits you with free monitoring), has no way to contact them by phone.  They "locked" my account after I explained the issue by e-mail and the process of proving our identity is cumbersome so we have not had time to get it fixed.

So, we signed up for Equifax's Family Monitoring Plan which, the very next day proved to be useless.  My wife established her account (2 separate accounts are included if family members) and, in doing so, triggered an alert to my email that my email address had been changed.  She was unavailable (in a meeting) so I called Equifax, thinking that might be why I received the email alert.  There is no dedicated line for this "service."   There is 'no option on the phone tree for this service and picking another option get you an outsourced call center representative who has no idea of what to do if your questions don't fall within the guidelines of the little chart (if they say this, do that, etc) in front of them. The first rep hung up on me after about 10 mins of waiting because I kept saying I gan't hear or understand you. The second challenged me, saying how did he know I was not the ID thief.  The third, stated the email, alert should not have been sent to me since it was my wife establishing her own account.  There went about an hour of my day and $29.99. We cancelled the next day and are going with Life Lock.  

HardKore's avatar User  HardKore  (Opens a pop up layer) Occasional Visitor

USAA does not work with LifeLock.  I've been trying for two weeks to set it up.  Today, LifeLock's message has changed and indicates that "USAA does not work with our system" or words to that effect. 

It could be something as simple as the Board of Directors having not reviewed their security yet.  I can pull data from USAA accounts into Quicken, so it's not that they won't do it.

Jbentley's avatar User  Jbentley  (Opens a pop up layer) New Member

I've been trying to protect my USAA account with LifeLock too but it will not set it up. I get the Login informations was rejected by the financial company. Anyone else having this problem and you know the solution please share with us.

LtPablo's avatar User  LtPablo  (Opens a pop up layer) New Member

I agree the credit freeze is effective.  However, it does cost $10 per agency to lift if you want to apply for credit, rent a space, etc.  If you have to do this often, it can add up...

Popular Topics
Close Pop-up