Military Spouse Appreciation Day is right around the corner. On this special day, I always thank the amazing military spouse friends I have made throughout this journey. I am so grateful for these women who have given so much of themselves for their country, and especially for the deep bonds we have formed going through military life together, always extending our understanding and support of one another.
As an Army National Guard spouse, I don’t have a close military community nearby, so I depend on networking and events to make friends and stay connected to the military world. One year, as I was getting ready to meet these new military spouse friends at a networking conference, each spouse took the time to create a military spouse appreciation care package for me. Because they knew I didn’t have the in-person support they had as active duty spouses, they wanted to show their appreciation to me as a spouse.
Who would have thought that meeting a group of military spouses at a conference one day would turn into years of close friendship?
Whether you are a spouse yourself, service member or civilian, when was the last time you thanked a military spouse? Military Spouse Appreciation Day is a perfect opportunity to thank your close milspouse friends, but to also make new spouse friends that perhaps you have not yet had the time to get to know.
This year, Military Spouse Appreciation Day is on May 12th. In honor of all military spouses out there on the homefront, thank you and Happy Military Spouse Appreciation Day!
Here are 10 thoughtful ways to thank a military spouse:
- Saying a simple “Thank you for serving, too” goes a long way. Join us on social by using #MilSpouseLove and thank a military spouse in your life.
- Listen. There are many times that a military spouse hasn’t had an actual adult conversation in quite some time. Take the time to just listen.
- Offer to help with yard work. It may not seem like a big deal, but we all know what a lifesaver this is!
- Send them a note in the mail. With technology so advanced, they will appreciate the time you took to write and mail them a note.
- Saying thank you with food is always a nice gesture. Bring over a lasagna or casserole that can be easily heated up. Again, this will be forever appreciated as they won’t have to worry about that evening’s dinner!
- Invite them over for coffee. A perfect time to catch up and change the atmosphere of everyday life.
- Go for a walk. If you live close by, take a stroll together and unwind.
- Introduce them to a new friend. Many times it can be difficult for us to get out and make new friends. If you know someone that has something in common, introduce them!
- If you see something at the store that reminds you of them, pick it up. It doesn’t have to be big, maybe a plant, flowers, or even a coffee mug. It is a sweet gesture that will be appreciated.
- If you see a spouse frantic, remind them to stop and take a deep breath. Ask them how you can help them, and then do it.
How have you thanked a Military Spouse? Share with us in the comments below and on social by using #MilSpouseLove!
Join me! Say Thank You to the military spouses in your life by using #MilSpouseLove.
About the blogger: Angela Caban is an Army National Guard spouse, freelance writer, published author and branding expert. In 2010, she founded the Homefront United Network, a military spouse and family support blog created to assist spouses who do not live near an installation, but also focusing on bridging the gap between National Guard, Reserve and Active Duty spouses. She has an extensive background in Human Resources and Communications, with her Bachelor’s in Business Administration and a Master’s in Human Resources. Angela resides in the beautiful Garden State of New Jersey with her husband and two children.
241881 - 0517