Highlighted
Contributor

I still have the long, green overcoat I took with me when I left the army in 1969. Anyone have an idea of how I could dispose of it? I'm 75 years old  and looking for homes for things I don't need to hold onto. 

Most Helpful
Highlighted

@sad3 Thank you for posting in Community! Here are some Veteran related organizations that welcome military uniforms. Bands4Arms mission is to create unique bracelets with a piece of donated military uniforms and 50% of proceeds going to military related not-for-profit organizations. I actually have a few that I have ordered over the years and I consider them precious keepsakes. Another option is to turn in your uniform/coat to the http://americangimuseum.org/contribute/donations/ or to a local historical society, this way your history and service with that uniform will be preserved. Thank you for your service and commitment. Hoping to hear from other members on what they did with their military uniforms. 

*No implied USAA endorsement

View solution in original post

My wife and I are both retired Marines.  She has a group of ladies that make honor flight quilts and distribute here in the state of Missouri with any branch of service uniforms.  She also makes customized quilts with member's uniforms /t-shirts etc to be used or passed down through the family.  20% of those proceeds are donated back into Veteran's organizations.  I'm not sure if it's OK to post her page in this forum but if it's OK below is a link to some of her military quilts she has previously done.

Semper Fuzzy Quiltz 

22 REPLIES

Highlighted

Hello @sad3, thank you for reaching out to us today. A few suggestions could be to donate to your local shelter perhaps, or even if you have a smart phone perhaps placing the item on 'offer up' or 'let it go' both are mobile apps. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thank you. -Emily 

Highlighted

thank you

Highlighted

You're welcome! Thank YOU for your services! -Emily

#LOVEOURMEMBERS

Highlighted

@sad3 Thank you for posting in Community! Here are some Veteran related organizations that welcome military uniforms. Bands4Arms mission is to create unique bracelets with a piece of donated military uniforms and 50% of proceeds going to military related not-for-profit organizations. I actually have a few that I have ordered over the years and I consider them precious keepsakes. Another option is to turn in your uniform/coat to the http://americangimuseum.org/contribute/donations/ or to a local historical society, this way your history and service with that uniform will be preserved. Thank you for your service and commitment. Hoping to hear from other members on what they did with their military uniforms. 

*No implied USAA endorsement

Highlighted

Is the Bands4Arms still in business? I get an error message when I click on any link in their website.

Highlighted

@DCG333 

Thanks for posting! I was able to use Bands4Arms site after clearning my browser history/cache.

www.b4ashop.com

Thanks!

Highlighted

I never thought to donate cause I found that I like and use my BDU shirts with the pockets which are great for everyday use. In fact I wore my uniforms I came home with from Nam and wore them till they wore out. And later before my retirement from the Army Reserves in 2003 I kept my BDUs and have worn them ever since. Now how did a Nam vet retire in 2003 well that is another story for another time. And I must add I am so grateful that I found USAA because they are awesome with their services and their reps are amoung the best.

Highlighted

@AmericanBorn, we are glad to have you as part of the USAA Family!  Thanks for sharing!

My wife and I are both retired Marines.  She has a group of ladies that make honor flight quilts and distribute here in the state of Missouri with any branch of service uniforms.  She also makes customized quilts with member's uniforms /t-shirts etc to be used or passed down through the family.  20% of those proceeds are donated back into Veteran's organizations.  I'm not sure if it's OK to post her page in this forum but if it's OK below is a link to some of her military quilts she has previously done.

Semper Fuzzy Quiltz