Highlighted
I am just curious what other member’s experiences are with USAA? I am not in the military, but my Dad is an Army Vet from the 60’s. When I was growing up, he always told me that having USAA insurance was a privilege based on his military service to our country. He said that the average person without military experience or a family member in the military could not get USAA insurance. I’ve had USA for 31 years now and throughout that time have always been so proud of making that payment every month. In fact, My Dad, my Mom (deceased), Sister, Brother-in-law & Mother-in-law have all had USAA insurance for most of their lives. In all that time there have probably been less than 5 claims total by everyone. Recently, my Dad filed a roof claim on an obviously hail damaged roof. USAA sent out 2 guys from some company called AllCat who were both extremely dismissive & unsympathetic to his situation. (what happened to the nice men and women wearing USAA polos doing claim inspections...?!?). Anyway, fast forward six weeks & USAA has denied the claim on 3 separate occasions. Never in a million years, did we expect USAA to deny the claim. At 82 years old, my Pops still works 40+ hours a week. He’s the most generous and hard-working American veteran you could ever meet. He doesn’t have the financial means he once did and was really relying on USAA to come through for him. He’s never missed a payment or even been late on a payment in 60+ years of being a member of USAA. How can a person be loyal to USAA for a lifetime and then when you need USAA most, they are not there to help...?!? It was beyond heartbreaking when he called to tell me the claim was denied. He is now going through his house and picking out family heirlooms to sell in order to pay for the room. What is the point of having homeowners insurance if it’s not there to help you when you need it...?!?

What are other people’s experiences with USAA? Are they similar to this? As lifelong members of USAA, do we not have any type of recourse?

1 REPLY

Highlighted

So sad to hear about your father's plight Harpua.  Since you are asking for feedback, I am a long term USAA member.  I've only made one household claim and that was decades ago.  USAA was responsive, thorough, pleasant and took exceptional care of me.  No complaints.  I am not discounting your father's recent experience, only that mine was vastly different.  Hope he gets back on his feet soon!