Highlighted
Contributor

I'm livid with the lack of customer service that USAA now provides. I called and spoke with a Senior Customer Service Rep. WHAT A JOKE! I am just a STUDENT living paycheck to paycheck at my PART-TIME job. Yet USAA thinks it is okay to hold $250 on my $350 paycheck for 10 DAYS!!! I've been banking with them for close to 5 years now, and never had an issue until this month. Last paycheck i deposited had $300 dollars held. Because USAA is now screwing people out of their money, i had to pay late fees on my phone bill ($40) and could not put gas in my tank to go to SCHOOL. I'm now in the position that i have to pay for textbooks since its the beginning of the semester, buy supplies, and other necessities. I guess that's not important to them because NO textbook in college costs less than $100 to buy.  The Rep i spoke to said i should "manage my money better so i could keep more in my account." So, lets do the math, shall we?

-

Textbooks:

"According to a study by the U.S. Public Interest Research Group (USPIRG), as of Jan. 27, 2014, the averageAmerican college student spends $1,200 per year on books and supplies, which is equivalent to 39% of tuition and fees at a community college and 14% tuition and fees at a four-year university."

(http://college.usatoday.com/2015/01/17/students-break-the-bank-to-buy-their-books/) There is the link to the article if you don't believe me.

I'm a full time student (13 hours or 4 classes)

4 textbooks at RENTED PRICES= $75-$100, so $300-$400 respectively. Remember, i don't get to keep these, i'm just RENTING!

Already, I can afford ONE textbook!! HOORAY!! 

Gas:

Where I live, gas is $2.06. I know it doesn't seem like much, but that is the LOWEST PRICE 16 gallons x $2.06= $32.96. Once again, doesn't seem like much, until you think of driving to and from school EVERY DAY and to work 5 days a week and back. Starts to add up a bit... huh? I normally have to fill up 1 every week/1.5 weeks. 

so $32.96 - $65.92 every week or week and a half.

So far $332.96 - $465.92

Don't forget basic living necessities (food, bills, etc.)

We will even low ball this one at $150-$250 (even though we all know bills are WAY more) 

SO... Respectively, i'm looking at $482.96 - $582.96. 

HAH! Thanks for telling me i need to "manage my money better" or try and give me "financial tips" when you are holding over $250.00 consistently. You left me with $104, USAA. I can BARELY get by with what i make as it is. IT IS CLEAR THAT YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY NEED TO USE THEIR MONEY FOR. 

You can say farewell to my accounts, USAA, as you are no longer servicing the people that NEED their money the most.

- USAA MEMBER

FORMER USAA MEMBER AND ANGRY COLLEGE STUDENT.

6 REPLIES

Highlighted
An Internet bank is definitely not the way to go when you're a student living paycheck to paycheck. If something bad happens you have very few - well really no - options.

I've been there, done that, and I understand where you're coming from when you are counting every penny you need month-to-month just to make ends meet.

Use deposit accounts.com to look for banks in your area You may be able to get a bank that offers a reward checking account which should give you a small but at least some amount of interest for using their debit card 10 to 12 times a month

Good luck!
Highlighted

Dear member,

I am truly sorry to hear of this situation that is causing a hardship. I would like to get someone in touch to see what we are able to do to help. I have sent this over to our banking partners for review, someone will be in contact directly. Thank you for posting in the community.

Highlighted

Well they deleted my last reply but maybe you will get this. Try Navy Federal Credit Union. I had the same problem with USAA and while I still have a credit card with USAA, and have a joint account here with a couple of bucks in it in case they ever get with the modern world, I decided to try NFCU. They immediately gave me access to phone deposits, something USAA would not do because I had bounced a check like 3 years ago. I mentioned this to NFCU and they said, that's dumb, wouldn't they want to make it easier for you to get money into the account then? YES!
They have a branch that is only about 45 minutes away. After I'd been with them a couple of months and with only a secured card with 350 credit line as I am young and just establishing credit, they gave me a credit card with 7500 credit line. A few months later I applied to have them refinance my car which was financed through a no credit auto loan place at 24 and they refinaced it at 5.9
So I highly recommend them. I went from feeling like a pariah to feeling like an investment.

Hi John85jon,

Just a friendly reminder that unless your comment does not meet our Moderation Guidelines  we do not delete member comments here in the community. Looking at your comment above, looks like it posted twice - so one may have taken a while to come through. Thank you.

Highlighted

I was referring to the post I made yesterday. But perhaps there was some other reason it didn't post.

Highlighted
I've always thought USAA policy to block access to someone's account to the degree they do was somewhat Byzantine and defeatist.

Looks like NFCU is more enlightened in this area.