JessicaLeigh
Occasional Contributor

I recently found out about some limitations with regard to transferring the post 9/11 GI Bill to dependents for higher education. If one wants to transfer their GI Bill to one of their dependents they must meet several qualifications including transferring the bill to their dependent BEFORE their dependent turns 21 years old. The dependent will then have until they are 26 years of age to use the bill to pay for their higher education costs. Bottom Line: make sure you do your research early with important benefits such as these so you and your dependents don't miss out. What lessons have you learned in reference to transferring the Post-9/11 GI Bill to your dependents?

7 REPLIES

It's a shame that I completed my last 6 years on active duty AFTER 9/11, retired in late 2007, yet my family members aren't worthy? Talk about a slap in our faces... Sean Kelly
I wish the GI bill could be used towards the student loan debt that I have acquired since my husband and I were married... it took me FOREVER to finnish school because I had to keep transferring schools every time we moved and it was WAY more expensive to earn my degree in California than it would have been to earn it in Texas (our home state) :/
My husband had to have at least 4 years left on his contract to be able to transfer his GI Bill to our son. ~Michelle
I recently found out that regardless of which GI Bill you have, if you don't have over ten years of service completed, you can't transfer it to anyone but your spouse! Just a heads up for those of you who have kids heading off to college soon and were wanting to give it to them!
I retired in Dec 2007. I was told by friends I can not transfer my GI Bill to a dependent because I wasn't in the service beyond a certain date (sometime in 2009). Is this true, and is there any movement towards ammending this provision? Kirk
We had to add on a year of commitment to transfer the GI bill to our kids also! As your spouse does this, think if you would ever need it. My husband gave me 1 month just in case. Then, if I need it, we can roll more months to me since I am now in the system. I would advise getting with someone on base for advice. My husband had some deadline things had to be done by and we were trying to complete this while he was deployed.
Make sure you keep accurate records should your child drop a class without notifying the VA or perhaps their parent and they owe the VA back the tuition and the living stipend, the VA may turn it over to the Dept of the Treasury before the time frame is up that they promised the student to pay back both the tuition and the living stipend for the duration they were not in school and when you dispute it you have to be able to provide that information in order for the VA to accurately investigate their case. Kids do stupid things when they are off on their own and expect their parents to come to the rescue to save them, the VA is very helpful when it happens but they DO NOT KEEP ACCURATE RECORDS OF A CASE and its up to you to keep from having to pay late fees and fines on the money owed back. I have spoken to several parents who have had this happen and trust me, the 60 day period is not the time frame you have to pay it back, we were told a year and at 7 months they turned it over to the Department of the Treasury to collect. Disputing it does not mean you will win the case.