The new MFA will cripple deployed member's ability access banking

Zippie
Contributor

Ref: USAA email notification I just recieved on Multifactor Authentication coming 19 September.

I have an IT security background, so I understand the need for this. I also understand how difficult it is to deploy and simply log in to my gmail account. So, now when I (or any service member) deploys they will have to either have cell phone access or internet access to access thier banking. 

I guess an infantry brigade doing field maneuveres in austere conditions or a third world country with no cell or internet will just have to hope thier bank account takes care of itself then. Oh, you have a DSN morale phone? Too bad, you dont have a code solider!  I do hope that USAA develops a policy to work around this. 

Most Helpful

Dear @Zippie 

Thank you for your service and taking time to comment here in community. Your feedback and observations help us to be better! I spoke with the subject matter expert here on MFA and am glad to report we do have options for deployed members and MFA.

The primary option is to switch to a CyberCode Token. This will allow the deployed member to continue to use MFA but it does not rely on text messages or emails. They can get the one time code from the USAA (or Symantec) app (data connection not required) or through a physical token (member has to call to request one). Both options work without the need for external connectivity.

I hope this helps shed some light on the options for deployed members- the last thing we want is to make life harder than it already is on deployment! Please keep the comments and questions coming.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES

Zippie - We appreciate your feedback. Know that your comments have been shared with the appropriate teams. Thanks for adding your voice to the conversation.- Jason

Dear @Zippie 

Thank you for your service and taking time to comment here in community. Your feedback and observations help us to be better! I spoke with the subject matter expert here on MFA and am glad to report we do have options for deployed members and MFA.

The primary option is to switch to a CyberCode Token. This will allow the deployed member to continue to use MFA but it does not rely on text messages or emails. They can get the one time code from the USAA (or Symantec) app (data connection not required) or through a physical token (member has to call to request one). Both options work without the need for external connectivity.

I hope this helps shed some light on the options for deployed members- the last thing we want is to make life harder than it already is on deployment! Please keep the comments and questions coming.

View solution in original post