Highlighted
Can you use skype when deployed to (getmo) cuba?
Highlighted
Skype is fabulous! During our last deployment we were not as fortunate to have internet access often, but instead used calling cards though Nobel.com. It's very secure (uses Paypal), and incredibly user-friendly. You can set up pinless dialing and even automatically recharge your card as it's getting low if you choose to. There's a live chat option where you can ask any questions, plus they run specials around holidays for 10% off, etc. I used it during my husband's 1st deployment to Iraq and now that he's currently in Afghanistan, their website and options are even better than before! It's cheaper for me to call my husband than vice versa, so he usually calls to let me know he's available to talk, hangs up, and then I call him right back. I even changed my voicemail message that says the standard message but then at the end says, "If this is (insert spouse's name here :)) I'm so sorry that I missed your call but I miss you so much and can't wait to talk to you again very soon!"
Highlighted
While I was deployed I found having a wi-fi enabled device such as a phone or ipod with forward facing camera and mic very helpful. Skype is a great app since skype to skype is free and seeing your loved ones faces really brings you back down to earth and connects each other. And a smartphone that you have you email account linked to makes it seem like texting when they have computer access or a wi-fi hotspot.
Highlighted
Big Money Money- To answer your question, yes I believe you can use Skype (or other teleconference software) in GTMO. However, connectivity and access would be depend on your loved one's unique situation. Hope that helps.
Highlighted
We are gearing up for our next deployment and I just obtained Skype on my mobile device. Skype is great, but with schedules, travel and time differences, we can't risk missing a call. Skype on laptops, iPads and mobile phones is invaluable!
Highlighted
My son discovered the art of letter writing during our deployment. He still has all of his treasured letters from daddy. And one of the best ideas we had was to use the same care package box with every mailing...So my husband sent it with his gifts and it always had a nice new drawing on it from daddy...we then would send it back with some goodies and a creative drawing or stickers from the children. It was great for morale booster and wonderful memories.
Highlighted
You can even use facebook as they have a skype type application on there message feature where you can video with someone
Highlighted
It is a good tool, however depending on the area and bandwith allowed, we have not been able to use the camera, we only have audio...that is somewhat disappointing, but oh well.
Highlighted
I will be deploying in a few months to Aghanistan and was reading over some of the comments about staying connected and it seems Skype is the way too go. Do my spouse and I have to have separate Skype accounts in order to video chat? Or can we video chat on one account?
Highlighted
Victor ... My new husband of 3 months is set to deploy mid June of this year. Sooo i too have been looking into Skype. I've never used it but i have heard that both people have to have their own account. It's kind of like having your own screen name for instant messaging. .. hope that helps :)