Should the Terms Post Traumatic Stress & Disorder be Placed Together?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Military Jargon and Acronyms change from time-to-time. Ask anyone associated with the military and they can probably recite those three and four letter terms with ease. But when it comes to health-related issues, special care and concern must be applied. In depth and sometimes heated discussions surrounding the term historically known as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) dominate the news as of late. Part of the debate focuses on whether to change the name to simply Post Traumatic Stress or PTS. The idea behind this is to eliminate the stigma attached to the word Disorder. The Military’s top brass continues to discuss not only the name, but the idea of classifying PTS as an “Injury” instead of a “disorder”. As the Medical Community and the Military Community debate and discuss the word-choice, diagnosis tools, and treatment regimen for this condition, what are your thoughts on this important issue called PTS?

8 REPLIES

Highlighted
I am 100% disabled with PTS and have been for over 12 years now. In my tour in Viet Nam from 1968-1969 we saw much combat and I received the Purple Heart through my efforts. I am very proud to have served for my Country yet the toll it plays on your mind is beyond words. I have felt that the word Disorder in PTSD was never appropriate. I think that the injuries physically received from combat do heal somewhat after time. But the injuries to a mind form all the hors of war damage your mind forever. So thats why I feel it should be considered a chronic injury and not a disorder.
Highlighted
Thinking about it, if it has to be labeled, why not Post traumatic stress syndrome. syndrome /sndrom, -drm/ noun 1. Pathology, Psychiatry . a group of symptoms that together are characteristic of a specific disorder, disease, or the like. 2. a group of related or coincident things, events, actions, etc. 3. the pattern of symptoms that characterize or indicate a particular social condition. 4. a predictable, characteristic pattern of behavior, action, etc., that tends to occur under certain circumstances I feel this describes the condition better than a disorder. Disorder can be misinterpruted, especially by a troubled mind (It's bugged me when I've been told I have a disorder...) that they're broken or not right. in a negative sense. Just my opinion.
There is no doubt in my mind that PTSD is a disorder. I was a scout pilot for the 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam. The last time I was shot down I broke my back and jaw. Those were injuries. However, what I've gone through beginning seventeen years later and continuing to this day is a disorder: intrusive thoughts, suicidal depressions, panic attacks and unbridled anger. I know of what I speak having spent the last six years documenting my experiences in my book "Facing PTSD." Although I believe stigmas should be avoided if they typecast, I can vouch that recovering from combat injuries and living with PTSD are two very different things. Given a choice, I prefer injuries to disorders.
Highlighted
I was diagnose by a Psychiatric Doctor at VA Hospital in Dallas, TX for PTSD. I file a Claim at VA with regards to my PTSD bu t it was denied for the reason that my Order for Active Duty in Texas Army National Guard is Title 10 or State Order to Active Duty and it was not accomodate by VA. My question now is where can I file my claim with regards to this matter. I hope that somebody can give me an advice for this.
Highlighted
As a scout who seen combat and has been labeled with p.t.s.d by the v.a. it is yet another euphanism. let me explain... Euphanisms can undermine appropriate attitudes towards serious issues such as the evolving terms describing the medical problem of the cumulative mental trauma of soldiers in high-stress situations shell shock (World War I) battle fatigue (World War II) operational exhaustion (Korean War) posttraumatic stress disorder (Vietnam War) as the name of the condition became more complicated and seemingly arcane, sufferers of this condition have been taken less seriously as people with a serious illness, and were given poorer treatment as a result. Maybe Vietnam veterans would have received the proper care and attention they needed were the condition still called "shell shock". In the same I conclude with everyone's favorite book. That "crippled" was a perfectly valid term (and noted that early English translations of the Bible seemed to have no qualms about saying that Jesus "healed the cripples"). use some common sense hear vets, it can be called whatever they want, but for those of us who have it, we know what it means, and the sheep will never understand! much love and repsect to all my brothers at arms!
Highlighted
I'm an Army vet and served in a DUSTOFF unit. I have PTSD from MST. I am concerned that if the term is changed to PTS, the VA would cease benefits because it is no longer considered a "disorde".
Highlighted
It is an injury to the brain. The older I get, I find myself reliving the incidents, very vividly,. When compounded with all the other injuries I have suffered, the physiological effects are very strong.
Highlighted
The Purplle Heart is awarded for combat incurred injuries. Does this mean that if the "D" is elimanated, and it is considered an injury then a Purple Heart would have to be awarded?