KAS1121
Contributor

I used roadside assistance for the first time this morning, and I was very disappointed with the service. All other services with USAA have been great, but this was just bad.

This was for keys locked in my car. I called at 7:30am and the service person did not arrive for more than two hours.

Initially they estimated one hour or less, and I got an automated call about 10 minutes before that time was up to let me know my service person was almost there - but it clearly had nothing to with where my service person was. I waited outside for half and hour and called the help line.

The lady I talked to was friendly and knowledgable; she called the mechanic and assured me the service person was less than 10 minutes away.

I called again 30 minutes later when he didn't arrive and spoke to someone who had no idea what she was doing. She asked me for my call back number twice, even though the lady before had all of my info immediately available. She told me my call back number would be my reference number, and then she asked me for my reference number. ...what? She didn't have a service friendly attitude.

Eventually she, too, called the mechanic and let me know the service person was a block away. I can see a block in either direction, and he definitely was not there. I know that's not the phone lady's fault, the mechanic was giving her faulty information. She also said the service person would call me to let me know exactly where he was.

He didn't call, showed up about 10 minutes later (...he had said was a block away??), and didn't say anything about the lateness. 

A two hour wait time is ridiculous - I was in a populated area with many mechanics around - but if I was quoted a two hour wait time initially, or if when I called the second time I got an ACTUAL estimate of how much longer I would have to wait, I would be somewhat happier. I could have figured out something to do in that time other than watch the road. I don't appreciate being lied to just to get me off the phone.

I recommend not using those mechanics any more, not encouraging mechnics to try to placate the customers with false information, and having a talk with that second phone lady about her service manner.

18 REPLIES

KAS1121,

Thank you for providing us feedback, and this is definitely not the level of service we want to hear about in your time of need.   I have located your Roadside claim and escalated your concerns to a subject matter expert who will be reaching out to you to address your situation.  Thanks, Mike

ON THE EVENING OF 23 DEC 2016,

WE CALLED ROADSIDE ASSIST FOR HELP TO CHANGE A TIRE THAT OUR CAR WAS STUCK IN THE MIDDLE OF AN INTERSECTION! AFTER WE TALKED TO A FREINDLY VOICE OVER THE PHONE AND WAS TOLD IT WILL UP TO 1 HOUR WAIT? I ASKED MYSELF 1 HOUR WAIT IN THE MIDDLE OF AN INTERSICTION? SO WE WAITED AND THE LOCAL POLICE TREATEN US WITH BLOCKING TRAFFICE AND FAILURE TO MOVE OUR CAR IN A TIMELY MANNOR! HOW I CAN I BLANE THE POLICE? ABOUT 15 MINUTES AFTER MY FIRST PHONE CALL, THE PERSON CALLED ME AND TOLD ME THAT HE WAS ON HIS WAY AND IT GOING TOBE OTHER 45MIN WAIT? I ASKED HIM WHERE ARE YOU COMEING FROM? REDWOOD CITY WAS HIS REPLIE. I TOLD HIM THAT SOUNDED NOT RIGHT AND HE WAS ONLY ABOUT AT THE MOST 10 TO 15 MINUTES FROM ME! HE TOLD ME THAT HIS GPS THAT I WAS LOCATED IN OTHER CITY THAT WAS VERY FAR WAY?? I TOLD HIM THAT WAS NOT TRUE? AND HE NEVER SHOWN UP! WE CALLED BACK TO USAA ROADSIDE ASSIST THAT NIGHT JUST GOT NOTHING BUT RUN A ROUND AND LIP SERVICE AGAIN! IS THIS WHAT USAA HAS BECOME? THEN WHY DO I PAY FOR SERVICE THAT I CAN NOT USE FOR? AS OF TODAY THEY ARE STILL ON ITS WAY TO CHANGE THE TIRE THAT I ALREADY HAD PAY SOMEONE FOR THE HELP???????? VERY POOR VERY POOR

IF I WAS A CEO OF THIS COMPANY AND HAD HIS PROBLEM HELP WOULD HAVE BEEN THEIR IN LESS THAN 30 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!! OTHER WISE WHAT IS USAA GOING TO FIX THIS THIRD PARTY PROBLEMS??

GARY SCHMIDT

gary4,

Sorry to hear this has been your experience with your roadside assistance claim.  This is something we do not expect from our providers we work with.  I have forwarded your concerns to our claims partners who monitor the services with Agero.  They will look into your situation further and will be following up with you soon.  ~ Robert

yes please call me about this! it is my understanding this company is has open item!

Gary Schmidt

Robert, as of this evening 12 Jan17 I have not heard from you??? I see USAA had paid for the service that they never shown up for! I called to have this claim reopened over week ago! Will????? Gary Schmidt

Gary4, thank you for reaching out to us. I apologize that you have not heard from us. I have shared your situation with a colleague and they will reach out to you as soon as possible. - Janay

27 January 2017 the nightmare with roadside assistance began.

I live New Orleans, Louisiana.  Around 8:10pm while driving on across the Crescent City Connection bridge myself and three others ran over some debris in the road.  All vehicles involved had flat tires, I was lucky enough to have two tires on the passenger side of the vehicle to blow out.  No biggie USAA Roadside Assistance has come to the rescue before this should not be an issue. WELL it WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8:15pm: I called into the Roadside Assistance Center. I was polite. I was asked if I was in a dangerous area and I stated yes.  I provided the lady with the location per the DOTD yes they were on the scene setting up flares.  She stated she was having difficulty finding the location. I told her at that time in a nice tone that she could use any address and when they dispatched a tow truck driver I would provide them the exact location (I was on the interstate without a mile marker and I provided the lady with the exit information and the interstate that I was on).

14 minutes into the call the agent still had not dispatched a tow truck.  On the verge of losing it. I asked the lady if she was new, in my mind if she was new I would bring myself down off of the cliff.  She stated she was not new, I then asked to speak with a supervisor.  16 minutes into this call on the busiest part of the interstate STILL NO TOW TRUCK.  I am now at my wits end, I am ON FIRE and I was still on hold. I hung up the phone and called back hoping I would get a competent agent. While the new agent appeared to be kinder she stated that the reason why a truck had not been dispatched was because the other agent could not find the address and they cannot dispatch a tow truck without an address. 

Now I am 14 minutes into the new call with the agent and she is asking me for the same preliminary information that I provided the first agent i.e. vehicle description, what side of the car was damaged.  Now I am burning with anger I continue to listen to this lady provide her with the location and then asked to be transferred to a supervisor.  She transferred me to a supervisor named Chris based out of Florida.  At the same time I called the Roadside Assistance line again to check the status on the tow truck only to find that one of the lovely agents placed a HOLD on the tow truck. Why? I am in a dangerous area, I have been engaged with your service center for roughly 32 minutes practically begging you to provide a service that I PAY FOR.

Chris the supervisor picks up and I tell him at this point I have not been the best customer to the agents who have "serviced me" and I have used profanity and I am extremely angry with the services that I had not received. Meanwhile DOTD personnel are telling me I have to move my car immediately or they will dispatch a tow truck at my expense because I was in the lane of travel.  Vehicles that hit the debris after I hit it have been towed to safety.  I am still waiting on these PEOPLE from Roadside Assistance to dispatch a tow.  

Chris is obviously rattled by my loving attitude. I told him how long I had been waiting to get a tow truck dispatched. It's a shame because this is their only job i.e. Roadside Assistance you call tow trucks but for some reason this was too difficult. He stated they were working on it.  He then stated that a tow company denied service.  I then asked Chris to provide the name of the tow company that denied the service.  He stated he could not which in my opinion was a LIE.  I then asked him to provide me with the list of tow truck companies in their network so I could call them and secure my own tow truck.  He then states he cannot do that either. I told him that I had no problem doing their job for them again he stated that he could not provide that information.  He then states that I can call a tow truck and pay out of my pocket and USAA "may" reimburse me.  I stated to him and you tell me this almost 50 minutes into trying to get you to send a tow truck.  He provides a 800 for claims.

I called the number to claims and I told the lady how much of an angel I had been (The filters would not allow me to state my true response.  Please think of a 2 year old with a dirty diaper on and a empty bottle). I was still angry about what was going on she then told me that I should not have been transferred to her. LOL!!!!!!! Tow truck pulls up it's not Eagle, the City dispatched a tow truck at 9:23 the policeman stated they were moving my vehicle and I would have to pay 175.00 for the tow.  I told them that I had finally secured a tow.  The policeman stated once the truck arrive they have to tow NO EXCEPTIONS.  I called the claims line again explaining that the city tow truck arrived and I gave her the spill and the entire timeline of dealing with Roadside Assistance.  She heard the city tow truck driver state how much it would cost and she immediately credited my account for the 175.00.  I provided her with the crash report number etc. (This is the USAA that I have done business with). She apologized for the situation and while on the phone with her guess who the city tow driver and I pull up behind?  You got it USAA Roadside Assistance Eagle Tow Truck Company. 

Eagle Tow Truck Company was not at fault.  The responsibilty lied completely on USAA Roadside Assistance.  The city tow truck driver and I waved as we drove by with my car on the flatbed.  He was friendly. He waved back. Oh I also informed the second claims agent that the Roadside Assistance Agents should not apply for any Emergency Services positions because they would kill a lot of people.

815pm: Called USAA Roadside Assistance

First 16 min call tow still not dispatched

14 min 2nd called still no truck dispatched

Last Chris the supervisor when a tow truck would be dispatched

1016 police officer and tow truck pull up stated that I have been Lane of traffic

1022pm Pull up  behind the USAA dispatched tow truck

You have ONE JOB dispatch a tow truck.  EPIC FAIL!!!

Prettybrownlady78,

I appreciate you conveying to us your recent experience.  I am truly sorry to hear that you had a poor member experience.   As a mother of two young kids myself, I can put myself in your shoes and understand how concerned you were for you and your family's safety.  I am communicating with our roadside management team now and providing them with your information.  You can expect a call from them within a business day (or sooner) to discuss your service experience. - Ina

Ive called roadside assistance twice in the decade ive had USAA. Both times were horrible experiences. Last week i called and it took 4 hours for the tow to arrive. I called 3 times for updates and each time i was promised a return call that never came. I turned down the law enforcement rotation tow twice(30 min arrival) because i was sure USAA would come through for me. Nope. 4 hours. Ridiculous. Ill be signing back up for AAA.