Highlighted

Help! I have submitted over lots resumes to various jobs and have heard absolutely nothing back! I'm qualified for most positions, even overqualified for others, but why haven't I even heard from one out of the hundred companies I've applied for?

17 REPLIES

Highlighted
I just recently seperated as well. I landed a job 4 weeks after seperation. A couple things that helped me was to cater my resume to the position I was applying for. Use the keywords in the job post. That makes it scannable so they can at least call back. Also, I searched for jobs on my states unemployment website. They had more positions and they were willing to call me back. I hope this info helps.
Highlighted
I'm in the same situation. Just keep trying and hang in there. I don't know why companies won't get back to us. For me I think it's because I worked part-time while supporting my husband's career, so companies think I lack experience. The fact that I have excellent references and a strong work ethic are neither here nor there.
Highlighted
Same here, I dunno. It seems there's something about military that most of the civilian don't like. I can't put my finger on it. I'm looking to progress in the web design/graphic design community, my work is clearly better than the average yet I don't even get a nod from employers I send my resume to. I dunno, maybe there is some kind of red flag that I have no idea about. Lol. I'm trying to save as much money as I can while using my GI Bill to hopefully start my own business. Us veterans need to network to help each other out. I'm glad USAA put this message board up...
Highlighted
This can happen for a variety of reasons. I notice you've been a member since 88 so I will go out on a limb and say you are either an army brat or retired (possibly both in all senses ;) ). Food for thought for you, you may want to work with one of the big recruiting firms, Orion International and Bradly Morris are good places to start, whoever you go with you should NOT have to pay them, the employers will do that for you. You may also want to check with your networks to see if any of your friends have any open positions.Along with that get a LinkedIn profile if you don't already have one, and network with your friends, people you have worked for, and people who have worked for you in the past. One last bit. Get some one impartial to review your resume. Preferably some one who doesn't know you. Listen carefully to what they have to say and fill in any gaps that they identify. You don't want people to pull any punches on this one. Good Luck! -James
Highlighted
Wow! Some nice responses to my initial post! Please take a look at some of the other posts on our GOING CIVILIAN blog as I've posted some articles that might be helpful to all. @Jewelly1: Congratulations on finding a new job in just 4 weeks! That's quick! @James: Actually, I was an Army Brat (some still call me that!) years ago, but also served and now blog for USAA. I posed this question as the GOING CIVILIAN Community Manager to generate more discussions on a topic we hear often. You mentioned some great Headhunters that can help shorten the time from "boots-to-suits". Please feel free to take a look at some of my other blog posts on this blog and let's keep the dialogue going! Thanks for your continued support of the USAA GOING CIVILIAN Spouse Community. @KJAll: As far as red flags, there are many in some cases. I just responded to a post on this blog discussing some of the things that can and will happen during the military-to-civilian career transition. Just a few things that make this tough for military folks include; coming across like you're still in the military while interviewing for a civilian job, the fact that a military career places you in extremely challenging situations with lots of responsibility and high intensity compared to some civilian environments, the fact that your military career often places you in charge of people very early in your career (like basic training, NCO Leadership courses, Officer Leadership courses, etc.) in comparison to some civilians who manage themselves, small teams, etc. All of these things we learned while in the military must be managed carefully when interviewing. Some things you know how to do might be best kept to yourself initially. It might be a good idea to temper your communication during interviews so that you don't come across as "too military", or give the civilian interviewer the feeling that you might take their job away. All of this I'm briefly mentioning here happened to me. It took me years to figure out and a good friend once told me some things that helped me effectively communicate my skills and abilities in such a way that they were more palatable or accepted in civilian circles. This topic is obviously one I'm very passionate about. Please take a look at the posts on the GOING CIVILIAN blog under the title: Military-to-Civilian Career Transition. I will write an article in the next few weeks on the subject of 'how military people come across in the civilian world.' @Spouse1: I believe the main reasons for not companies not getting back to you are many: * You send in 1 resume for 1 position, and so do hundreds of other people. Your resume is just part of the stack. * Many people send in resumes for positions they are not even qualified for. But, since you have those "excellent references and a strong work ethic", unfortunately your get hidden in the crowd. * Since companies are so reliant on technology and computers, imagine being the person who has to sift through the masses of resumes. * With many companies being short-handed these days, many resumes may be overlooked because there is simply no time to communicate effectively to each and every person who submits a resume. * With the number of Unemployed people these days, there are a lot of feet on the street. The talent pool is crowded. Companies have lots of talented people to choose from. Companies can get the exact "DNA Match" in terms of New Employees. All that said, submitting resumes online is quick and easy, but it does not make you stand out from the crowd. You need to do other things like networking, meeting personally with the hiring manager, attend job fairs effectively, and do lots of extra work in order to get noticed. I know this was a long blog post, but I'd like to invite each of you to take a look around the GOING CIVILIAN blog. Lots of articles have been posted AND lots more to come! Please tell a Friend about the USAA Spouse Community too! We have important topics posted each week. Looking forward to your questions and comments!
Highlighted
One of the toughest things to prepare for was writing a resume that was tailored to each job I was trying to apply for. It seemed like I had multiple resume versions because each one needed to be tailored a little differently depending on the job criteria. Some companies were very specific on what they wanted and others gave little guidance. I realized early on that by throwing out a net trying to fish for anything that was out there was not the best approach. It wasn't until I researched something I was interested in, invested a little more time, and effort that I was able to make more progress to landing that ideal job in todays competitive job market.
Highlighted
Me and my wife are getting out of the military. She is army and I play the role as the housewife taking care of our daughter. We have a nice apartment, a 7 month old beautiful baby girl, lots of furniture that is very big. Big tv, big couch, big bed... and now she's getting out because she doesn't want to waste her time with the way things are run here at Fort Bragg.. frustrating, high school rumor spreading, power trips from higher rankers on lower rankers etc... So she's getting out. I have my AA in psychology. Thank you Army for financially supporting our family and giving me a place to live and study to earn this. but I have to find a job now. My wife, 88mic truck driver, will have to find a civilian job. We're moving into her moms house. (EEEK I don't think this is a good idea.) from a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment into her moms 3 bed 1 bath. Theres already 3 people living there, so now add 2 more and a baby, not to mention the crazy relationship we have. There isn't much room so we will have to get rid of most of our nice furnature, or put it in storage. Living with her mom is either going to "allow" our marriage to fail, or make or break the relationship with the mom. I don't want this to happen, and this situation is the closest to a nightmare that I have experienced in a long time. So Stressful! I asked my wife this: Does every person who leaves the military have to lose everything they had? There must be a positive, more productive and less suffering way to make the transition. There should be a way to have a job lined up, so that we do not lose our comfortable lifestyle we've gained from the military.
Highlighted
Another thing that requires special attention is properly aligning the skills you learned in the military with skills desired in the civilian world. If whoever's reviewing your resume doesn't understand what's on it, the chances for an interview are remote at best. For me, it was several hours of effort spread across a few days (and finally some help from my wife) before I had a resume that articulated what I could bring to an organization. Now, there are lots of resources on the internet that can help translate what you did in the military into what you can do as a civilian.
Highlighted
Just so you know, I hope this really helps you guys out but General Electric is a huge supporter of hiring military both active and veterans. They have a huge range of jobs from finance, administrative, aerospace, mechanics, medical, energy you name it General Electric pretty much has their hand in it. www.ge.com