Top Contributor
Subject: USAA Member NFL Petition
To: USAA Senior Management
Total Member Participants: 1,700

BACKGROUND:

The NFL has shown disrespect to our flag and country over the past year and their actions have been criticized by the President, the Vice President, two 4-Star Military Officers, three Veterans Organizations, and thousands of USAA members who have sent messages to USAA encouraging them to end their sponsorship of the NFL.

After a year of unprecedented disrespect to our flag and country by a sports league, USAA continues to use our member funds to sponsor the NFL, continues to associate its military member base with the NFL, and USAA continues to advertise itself as "The Official Military Appreciation Sponsor of the NFL". All of which goes against the wishes of the member base, which can be confirmed at any time by USAA conducting a member-wide e-mail survey on this topic.

Many members have read USAA's statement that their affiliation with the NFL is focused on military appreciation. May we suggest that before the NFL attempts to show appreciation to the military that they first show respect to what it is the military stands for and salutes during the playing of the national anthem.

With that discussion, we the traditional members of USAA will continue to let our voices be heard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PETITION STATEMENT:

1.) We continue to call upon USAA to end its sponsorship of the NFL. As the NFL is an organization that condones disrespect to our flag and country, there are many more dignified marketing options for USAA to choose from and to associate it's military membership with. When Vice President Pence attended a Colts game this past season and the NFL players were kneeling during the National Anthem, the VP had the backbone to walk out of the stadium at the conclusion of the National Anthem and later commented: "I left today's Colts game because @POTUS and I will not dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag, or our National Anthem".

2.) As USAA moves in a new direction to expand its membership, it has clearly chosen to support its NFL community over its traditional military community. For that reason we call upon USAA to stop all of its military related advertising with the NFL and to simply focus on its financial services advertising.

Although USAA's corporate goals and membership requirements may change over time; the military's core values of Duty, Honor, Country do not change. In 1962, General Douglas MacArthur stated in his farewell address at West Point that "The very obsession of your public service must be Duty, Honor, Country."

USAA, as a private company, should not attempt to reap the benefits of being associated with the US Military and should not act as though it represents US Military personnel if it is not committed to support our core military values. Therefore, we strongly encourage USAA to not bring the name of the US Military into this NFL debacle in any way for advertising purposes. There is an entire section of member comments further below on page five strongly encouraging USAA to stop it's military advertising.

3.) RetiredArmy2011
10-11-2017 11:38 AM
Obviously, the BOD does not support or agree with the membership. I think this petition needs to be expanded to include a call for immediately replacing the BOD. IAW Article II, Section 2, a Special Meeting may be called if a petition signed by 1 percent of the members of USAA  exists. I propose that this petition be expanded to call for a Special Meeting to not only force a stop to the NFL sponsorship and advertising, but also to replace the Board of Directors, who obviously have forgotten that they work for the membership.

There is an entire section of member comments just below supporting this third point.

END OF THE PETITION STATEMENT

Just below at the bottom of this Cover Letter is a selection of featured member petition comments on the NFL:

Page 1: Six Colonels

Page 2: Ten Combat Veterans:

1. A former Commander in Iraq
2. A severely disabled combat veteran
3. A Vietnam War Veteran
4. A Vietnam War Veteran
5. An Iraq and Afghan War Veteran
6. A Navy SEAL
7. An Army Special Forces Veteran with six combat tours
8. A USMC Purple Heart Veteran
9. USMC Paratrooper
10. An Infantryman whose family members have served in every US war since the Civil War

These are the stories of what it truly means to serve and are intended to remind USAA of who it is they are suppose to be representing.

Page 3: Gold Star Family members which includes the story from a mother who lost one son and her second son is now permanently disabled.

Page 4: Public comments criticizing the NFL from our Political and Military Leaders, and Veterans Organizations:

1. The President of the United States
2. The Vice President of the United States
3. 4 Star Admiral Harris, Commander, U.S. Pacific Command
4. 4 Star Admiral McRaven, Retired, Former Commander, U.S. Special Operations Command
5. VFW
6. American Legion
7. American Veterans
8. A public letter from a USMC Colonel to Roger Goodell of the NFL

The entire list of member petition comments will be made available to USAA upon request.

Thank You,
The Traditional Members of USAA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PETITION INSTRUCTIONS:

If you agree with the Petition Statement then please tap the "Reply" square just below at the bottom of this page and provide a comment so we have your "call sign" for counting purposes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ATTACHMENTS:

Page 1: Comments from 6 Colonels
Page 2: 10 Combat Veterans comments
Page 3: Gold Star and other family member comments
Page 4: Public comments from our Political and Military Leaders, and Veterans Organizations
Page 5: Member comments calling for USAA to stop it's military advertising
Page 6: Member comments on replacing the BOD
Page 7: Member departure comments which begin with (ten) fifty-plus year members saying farewell to USAA over the NFL issue
Page 8: Petition appreciation comments
Page 9: The entire list of USAA Member NFL Petition comments, will be compiled over time

57 REPLIES

COMMENTS FROM 6 COLONELS

CrossedPistols
10-18-2017 06:13 PM
Add my name to the list of those disappointed - no, disgusted is more like it, with USAA's position on this.  USAA has demonstrated, like the NFL, they are not willing to do the right thing unless there are financial repercussions.  I am joining the ever-growing number of members looking to take their business elsewhere.
Current USAA leadership has demonstrated that they have not only lost sight of their mission since the company was founded, but those on the board that previously wore the uniform have lost faith with those they served with.
It makes me wonder what could motivate those in positions of responsibility at USAA to do (not do) what they have done (not done)?  Money?  Status?  Season tickets?
Whatever it was, I hope the board values it much more than the respect of their members.  Because they have lost the latter and are stuck with the former, whatever it may be.
Few things disgust me more than senior personnel abandoning those they are honored to lead.  IMHO that is just what USAA has done.
The lack of integrity, honor and commitment to duty and members displayed by USAA will not be forgotten.....even should the NFL protests stop tomorrow.
This 30+ year member and retired Colonel will soon be a former USAA member.  

Desperado26
10-17-2017 07:57 PM
COL (Name) / FULLY CONCUR WITH THE PETITION.  USAA needs to A.  Relieve its advertiser - NOW.  It needs to publish a statement tearing the NFL apart - NOW.  And you need to listen to to your officer and NCO Members -NOW.  The NFL is a disgrace to the USA.  It further is an insult to every service member who served since 1775 in EVERY Branch of the Armed Forces.  IT IS NOT HATE IT IS SIMPLE FACT.  That hate business is penny anti blarney.  I spent 30 years treating ALL SOLDIERS EQUAL - Completely.  I have belonged to USAA since I was a 3d Classmen over 40 Years.  DO THE RIGHT AND HONORABLE THING>  GOD BLESS THE USA.  Its only something many of my precious troops died for.  OUT  God Bless

Respect the Flag
Contributor
September
Please stop paying the NFL to disrespect our veterans’ service and the flag for which so many fought and died. Old glory represents one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. In that light, we fought for everyone's right to peacefully protest anyway they choose, AND for USAA's right to express its displeasure with the NFL's disrespect by cutting ties. You have freedom of speech too; exercise it on your customers' behalf! Please do not support organizations that don't share our values of service and sacrifice for the United States.
 Col (Name), USMC (Ret)

Roadrunner440
10-19-2017 10:44 AM
I believe USAA should stop supporting the NFL - we who have served and bleed for this country desire better
COL ( ret) 

COL Barry
10-27-2017 12:59 PM
I sincerely ask USAA to immediately stop any sponsorship of the NFL.  This includes any cosponsored/arranged events.
NFL players kneeling is disrespectful to my service, the service of all veterans, and this country.
Do not provide a dime to this disrespectful organization nor be associated in any way with them.

secondtonone
11-03-2017 01:01 PM
I've been a USAA member for 45 years and I'm so upset with the USAA sponsorship of the NFL and the disrespectful actions of its players that I strongly encourage USAA to DROP their advertising on NFL sponsored program.  I'm very close to searching for another insurance company that respects our Military, National Anthem, and our Flag.  Pull out of NFL sponsorship or many of us military members will find another company.
Sincerely,
(Name) Colonel, US Army Retired
SAMPLE OF MEMBER COMMENTS CALLING ON USAA TO STOP ITS MILITARY ADVERTISING

1Forrest
USAA no longer supports or represents military personnel or veterans so please stop with the false advertising.

Disappointed77
11-13-2017 03:36 PM
I wish USAA would stop saying that they represent the military, because they really don't.

jommyb84
11-10-2017 04:41 PM
First off, you do not sponsor a company that openly disrespects military members because you want to show appreciation to the military. This sponsorship is and always has been about increasing the member base, it is about MONEY, not MEMBERS OR THE MILITARY so please stop.

HokeAJ
09-25-2017 09:43 PM
A salute to service from an organization made up of people that do not show even basic respect when the anthem is played is more like a middle finger to any person that has ever served.  You either stand with your members, the VFW, the American Legion or you kneel with a bunch of overpaid, disrespectful, and ignorant jocks that are paid to perform.  There is no middle ground

Meri'ca
11-22-2017 07:03 AM
USAA supporting this manipulation of the American people at the expense of the flag and this great country is absurd. Your bank is in a commercial the other day next to the NFL symbol, physically made me sick. Disgusting- For veterans? For profit?.
A angry veteran.

Defendor
10-06-2017 09:23 AM
Watching the pro (fake) military USAA commercials make me sick.  We (USAA members) know the truth. 

FMFdocyut
September
Spare me the empty PC lines USAA. We know that if USAA had to choose between $$ and service member/Vets... $$ will always win.

td7979
11-20-2017 07:10 PM
USAA is supporting the NFL's degradation of our flag.   USAA has since taken advantage of the military for the mighty dollar.  They know it.  I'm just a USAA-used so called 'member'.  Give me a call at * if you want more on their scam ....

Oh, say can you see
10-11-2017 07:21 AM
USAA, there is no Honor or Appreciation in your message to Veterans like myself, USAA is a disgrace!!

Chief MAA
11-13-2017 06:30 AM
They lie lie lie. USAA is a scam against Military, taking advantage of Military and Veterans.

Go BSUBroncos
12 Jan 18
Contributor
an hour ago
Support the recall of the BOD.  A 38 year member that has pulled all assests and products to other companies but keep one bank product to ensure my membership.  USAA is an embarrassment and I will not return BUT USAA should not be allowed to claim they represent those that have served.  

USA-for-Life
10-07-2017 08:24 PM
USAA.....You have violated our trust.

Proud Deplorable
10-10-2017 06:36 AM
Pull the advertising for the NFL!

Starlord 101
Regular Contributor
an hour ago
Do the right thing and stop advertising with the nfl

Patriotism
11-13-2017 06:08 AM
Was already so disappointed in USAA over their love for the NFL and lack of support for us that served. The pro military stuff you send out adds insult to injury.

Matt7878
Contributor
September
Your motto is, "We know what it's like to serve", however USAA is sponcering the NFL. So my question is, do you think USAA is living up to their comment, and serving service men and women????? As a member of USAA now for over 16 years, i can come to a conclusion, either Have USAA stop all sponcership of the NFL, OR LOOSE A CUSTOMER, AND TRUST ME ALL MY VETERAN FRIENDS ARE ON BOARD. The ball is in your court USAA, QUESTION IS ARE U WITH US, OR ARE YOU GONNA TAKE A KNEE TOO?

Kman919
11-21-2017 12:46 PM
I am shocked that USAA continues to support the NFL. It must come down to one thing for USAA - MONEY. Not love of country, not honor for those who have served and died and certainly not the core values of loyalty, duty, respect, personal courage, honor, integrity and selfless service. USAA has now shown its true colors. They claim to support the military and to have the same core values, BUT they have now demonstrated that it is an ACT. They put on this act, so they can make MONEY. USAA appears to be no better than any other financial services company that claims to support the military. USAA - if you disagree with this comment - demonstrate it by discontinuing your support of the NFL.

DrNASA
With respect to USAA's sponsorship of the NFL and USAA leadership's refusal to listen to or acknowledge the voice of its members - we will be requesting through our US congressional representatives that USAA not be given privileged access to members of the military or the military academies, ROTC or military training schools or US military bases to find new members among the United States military venues. Such access by an organization that encourages public humiliation, dishonor and disrespect to our Armed Forces is unacceptable and they should not have unique access to our armed service members to find a new business and then to distribute that financial resource to activities such as the NFL.
IronPatriot
10-06-2017 06:16 AM
I am taking a stand and asking USAA to do the same. We are offended by those who are not only disrespecting the active and non-active military personnel, but also trying to shame other patriotic Americans by there actions. enough is enough with the attacks on this great nation we live in. Dump the NFL.
10 COMBAT VETERAN COMMENTS

1. A former Commander in Iraq
2. A severely disabled combat veteran
3. A Vietnam War Veteran
4. A Vietnam War Veteran
5. An Iraq and Afghan War Veteran
6. A Navy SEAL
7. An Army Special Forces Veteran with six combat tours
8. A USMC Purple Heart Veteran
9. USMC Paratrooper
10. An Infantryman whose family members have served in every US war since the Civil War

Sevbo
19 Dec 17

USAA,
You see, like many who serve it stands for the ultimate sacrifice for as a Commander in Iraq, the flag was draped over seven of my Soldiers as they left Iraq in body bags.  They arrived home to grieving family who universally were comforted by the honor of having our nations colors draped over their coffin.  You bet, it's emotional and personal for me....as it is with most who serve. 

Billy Jack1
 You are NOT honoring me, any other veteran, anyone active duty or anyone who died in service to this country by sponsoring our enemies!  And anyone so disrespectful of my country, my flag or my brothers in arms is my enemy!
 I am planning a return to the United States shortly, the decision to continue to support the NFL is the final straw.
 I am 100% service connected, permanent and total disabled. (Funny how getting parts shot and blown off your body can do that to you huh?)  I can not just jump on a plane and fly home to change banks.  NO! I have to bring someone with me to help me with daily activities.  You do understand disabled right?

This is going to be very arduous, painful and expensive.  My anger will get me through it. It is certainly WORTH it to me!  I lost a lot of friends in service to the US.  EVERY ONE of them would do the same if they were alive today!
 So, go ahead, try to placate us with smooth sounding rhetoric and talking points.  Tell us ALL about how much you like us.  NOT going to change my mind!  The only thing that will change my mind is you cut ALL ties, across the board, with the NFL.  NOW

Delta6
10-06-2017 04:37 PM
I fully support this petition. I will never forget those men in my platoon who died in Vietnam, however, by its actions USAA has forgotten them. USAA's moto "We know what it is like to serve" is a joke on us who did serve.

americal1970
Contributor
September
USAA's continuing sponsorship of the NFL put it on the side of those trampling the flag and spitting on the graves of the fallen.
 NFL had a choice to end the defamation or stand by these Jane Fondanettes.  They chose dishonor over valor. 
I know what tratorism looks like.  I hope USAA leadership has similar strong associations.
 Vietnam 1970-71

Airborne3
10-07-2017 02:43 PM
I've been a member of usaa for 13 years would hate to leave but after seeing this highly paid athletes disrespect our flag for what I fought for in Iraq and Afghan. Makes me upset. As my creed says "never will I embarrass my country". Rltw. Usaa reduce or cut sponsorship for nfl.

SOC-SEAL
Occasional Contributor
September
USAA.... please stop sponsorship with the NFL immediately   They're disrespecting those that have served, died and were seriously wounded serving our Great nation.   This is the ultimate sign of disrespect.
 We in the military have served for these freedoms.  But we also have the right to disagree with your message and not let our pocketbook endorse it.  I can't allow my pocketbook to endorse an organization (NFL) that allows the ultimate sign of disrespect to the DOD Fallen and wounded and people that have served.
 Please review immediately your sponsorship and let all members know what direction USAA will proceed with.   I need to know if I need to end an approximately 20 year relationship with USAA and look for another Banking company that is more in line with my personal beliefs and Freedoms.

SFOAD 141
11-02-2017 08:12 PM
I respectfully request that USAA sever all ties with the National Football League. As a 22 year active duty Vet with 6 combat tours I feel I can not support any company that supports the NFL

Soljer
10-20-2017 01:01 PM
As a DAV, Purple Heart Veteran, I find it appalling that USAA continues to run adds during NFL Games. YOU are supposed to support us patriots not the rich prima donnas that insult us. Get with it USAA before I transfer all my accounts else where. Semper Fi!

USMC-PARATROOP
11-20-2017 09:04 PM
Stop supporting the NFL and terminate immediately any financial relationship USAA has with the NFL and it’s subsidiaries.

GB4USC
Lightgrunt
Contributor
September
Members of my family have served this country through every war from the Civil War to my service in Global War on Terrorism. Sponsoring the NFL through these protest is a slap in the face to everyone who has sacrificed time with family blood sweat tears and their lives not to mention what the wives children parents sacrifice to continue to support the NFL shows complete disrespect for what all of us have sacrificed for I know they have a right to their opinion but to disrespect what we have done is unacceptable to many of us who have missed births graduations and have shed our own blood for their rights no one knows better than we do I thought more of USAA than that I hope this will be rectified they do not deserve the support and you are not honoring us by continuing sponsorship
GOLD STAR AND OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS

Tamp Girl
11-17-2017 05:55 PM
I have had the sad experience of being handed a folded flag. None of those players on that field can understand how that feels. They are able to play a game and get paid overinflated salaries because service members are willing to die to protect our rights. I hope USAA will consider suspending their financial support of an organization that clearly does not respect them.

GaSouthernBelle
11-03-2017 08:07 AM
My husband has been a member for about 45 years and I have for over 35 years. When we became members all you offered was car insurance. My husband has been a law enforcement officer for 44 years and counting.

Our oldest son gave up his dream of pitching baseball after * and joined the Air Force. Not long before he had completed his tour we lost him. He was buried on * .

Our youngest son felt called to join the Army. So after graduating early we signed the papers so he could enlist. Right after turning 18 he was sent to Afghanistan. When he was wounded a 2nd time he was a SSGT, had held a couple of his military brothers as they left this world. After returning to the States he was told that he would be disabled forever.

When the NFL kneels...they might as well be spitting in my husband and my children’s faces. And spitting on my son’s grave!! And for y’all to sponsor them...says you agree with them. Please reconsider which side you want to be on... the one who supports it’s members or the one who’s going to lose it’s members. God blessed America I just pray He saves her.

Jean966
October
My father and brothers died for that flag that is being disrespected and your support of the NFL is misguided. You have always been a good company but this will be an embarrassment if your ad comes on after those overpaid players take a knee

Gongulak
10-15-2017 08:25 AM
I could never agree with the use of the national anthem and flag as a method of protest. The flag draped the casket of my father — I won’t agree with a method of protest that uses the flag in any manner except reverence and respect. I am going to do my best to live up to what I believe and USAA is making me a participant in a method of protest that is dishonorable, disrespectful, and repulsive to me.

granny Annie
10-19-2017 09:59 AM
I very much resent your sponsorship of the NFL while they disrespect the national anthem and the flag for which my deceased husband served

Phyll
Contributor
September
My dad died at age 61 from Agent Orange poisoning from his time in Vietnam. He was in the peacekeeping forces in Korea. He became an officer in the field in WWII. The National Anthem is the song praising America. If not for the soldiers who fought, died, came home with horrible disabilities, our freedom would not be guaranteed. We all have 1st Amendment rights but disrespecting our country in this way is not the answer. Protest but don't disrespect. Ashamed of USAA and I've been a member for decades!

Ret. Navy Chief Wife
September
As a member and wife of a Ret. Navy Chief, who honorably served in OEF and OIF, it insults my husband, my family and all those who served in the military and sacrificed their lives to defend our freedoms, knowing that USAA supports those disrespectful assclowns in the NFL. Obviously the platform you advertise on, is a lie. USAA has demonstrated that they care more about sponsoring football players who commit felonies and other crimes, and condone those who have shown utter disrespect towards our National Anthem and U.S. flag. The NFL players are NOT heroes, they're overcompensated thugs who could care less about those who served our country. USAA needs to drop the NFL and show their appreciation to our Veterans who deserve better than this. We have a mortgage, credit cards and our insurance through USAA which we're happy to take elsewhere if that's the way they're gonna disrespect and disappoint their long standing members. YOU SUCK USAA!!

Bunny6
Contributor
September
I feel USAA is not appropriately addressing their member's concerns regarding the NFL's disingenuous regard for the flag, the history, and veterans.
 Extremely disappointed in USAA----and as I've been a lifetime member (so far), I shudder that my Dad is turning over in his grave given his life long service to the military and a World War II vet.

KateLynn58
10-21-2017 08:12 PM
Saddened by a company I have been with since the early 80's. I always assumed with an innocent faith that their commitment to the military, veterans and the families who have sacrificed so much was the backbone of their mission statement. Obviously, I was and am wrong.  It will take me a little time to transition everything to an institution I can be proud to be a part of, but this blatant disgrace of what this company should stand for, well... it's worth the work, time and hassle to close things up. Breaks my heart.

TORIM
10-10-2017 05:58 AM
I am not a member of the military, but my father has been my whole life until he recently retired. He has traveled the world for this country, and taught his girls to be patriotic and proud of this country. What the NFL is allowing is heart breaking. For a company that has opened its doors to help military personnel and their families to continue to sponsor them is even more heart breaking. STOP!!

USAFgirl
10-18-2017 03:45 PM
At one time, I thought football was all about America, now I know that is not so.  There are so many other worthy patriotic institutions that USAA could sponsor.  Please consider withdrawing USAA sponsorship of the NFL and directing those funds to organizations that truly support the symbols and character of American military service members and their families.

Kmom
I am surprised and extremely disappointed that USAA is a sponsor for the NFL.  As second generation USAA members, we have been proud of USAA's commitment to our military.  Sponsoring the NFL is a slap in the face of every serviceman and servicewoman.  I urge USAA to immediately pull sponsorship.  We are shocked that USAA continued sponsorship as this disrespect towards our country and the office of the president has escalated.

Proud Military Spouse
11-03-2017 04:16 PM
USAA, please pull your sponsorship of the NFL today. In * the NFL prevented the Dallas Cowboys from wearing a helmet decal honoring the 5 police officers killed in the Dallas protest shooting. Because the players represent the NFL they are not allowed to make specific gestures advocating any cause; however, it’s okay for the players not to respectfully stand for the National Anthem. That too represents the NFL’s values.  USAA, please pull your sponsorship of the NFL today. Sincerely, Proud Military Spouse

officerwife1
10-09-2017 11:35 AM
I want to add my voice in supporting the petition to demand that USAA remove their sponsorship of the NFL.

SnipeWife
10-06-2017 09:02 AM
I agree with this petition and ask the executives at USAA to reconsider their decision to sponsor the NFL. It goes against the core beliefs of your membership.

Angel Bell3
10-18-2017 05:12 PM
I just wanted to let you know how shocked & disappointed I am in this company, USAA, for continuing to support the NFL. The field is not the place to protest and certainly not with the US Flag & Anthem. Such a disgrace. Maybe I should start looking for an insurance company that respects our country like I do.

Pattieann
September
Wow, I am not a sports fan but if it is true that USAA is still supporting this NFL group of teams that take a knee when our national anthem is played, Wow....I am from a proud of America military family and joined this bank and services that support and assist military families and USAA os still a sponsor? Our military have fought for the right to fly our flag, sing our anthem and say our pledge to our country without these disrespectful displays of self proclaiming actions on our national stages and gatherings being accepted and catered too! My dad was wounded on the beach at Normandy D-day invasian and many buddies did not come back! Nothing has changed, our flags continue to cover coffins returning to our nation, PTSD, Suicides and lack of medical help has been rampant. NFL does not deserve the support of USAA so long as managers and owners are buckeling to these disrespectful delf-serving displays across our nation in the NFL or any other organization supporting this!
GOLD STAR AND OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS
Page 2

iowa member
11-20-2017 01:53 PM
My Father, My son, My daughter, and myself, all have served and many others. I am USAA member from the 1980’s. I stand. Please discontinue your relationship with the NFL. In my own opinion, to ‘protest’ in ANY uniform, is disgraceful. God Bless our Nation and all who have served and support our Armed Forces. Thank you. - Janice M.

PookieOookie
Contributor
October
As the wife of a United States Army Veteran who served his country and almost gave his life and as a former police officer myself, I cannot keep supporting your company if you keep supporting the NFL. I picked you as a credit card and as my insurance company based on your service toward the military and veterans. If you continue to support the insult that is the NFL as they take a knee during our anthem and show no respect toward our flag, country, military and police, I will be forced to change my insurance and I will be paying off my credit card bill and parting company with you. If you don't have the scruples to stand behind your members and customers, then I cannot stand behind you. Do not think for a minute that you are not being boycotted. I have found that most people don't take the time to write letters and that for every letter received, there are 100 not written. Your reputation is on the line in the LEO and Military community. Stand up for what you believe in.

VeteransDaughter3
Contributor
September
As the daughter, granddaughter, and niece of Veterans, I am appalled that USAA has not already ended their association with the NFL. The NFL is showing their blatant disrespect for our Veterans and our country. USAA was formed by and for Veterans. Shame on you! I will take my business elsewhere if this does not change soon.

Meggie55
11-08-2017
I was shocked to hear that USAA sponsors the NFL. It is deplorable that they support an organization that encourages the disrespect of our flag and the people who are and have served our country.
They should not be advertising on the NFL games and supporting those selfish and disrespectful men that go around abusing women and go to court numerous times to deny the punishment that they deserve.
I am saddened to hear of such hypocrisy.

Concerned family
10-23-2017 08:43 AM
USAA seems to have changed it’s goals in pursuit of a wider audience. Growth as an end in itself and alienating your long term base will not make you bigger and better it will make you ordinary, one banking institution among many. Please stop supporting the NFL and reevaluate your core mission.

Audemed
October
My husband and I would love to continue using USAA. However, supporting the military community should be USAA's prime objective.
People have every right to protest, peacefully. People have every right to disagree with the motives behind the protest.
So, with that in mind, your MEMBERS are requesting that USAA stand with the military community and boycott the NFL. Show us what you value. Show us what you HONOR.
Your sponsorship or your military families. You cannot have both.
-Sincerely,
May leave USAA.

M's Mom
October
Please reconsider your support for the NFL. Ratings? They are dropping. What better way to show support for the brave men and women who live and die for that flag. Drop the NFL.
My household is not watching the games either. Cancelled our cable. Please USAA, reconsider your support of the NFL.

AirforceWifey
September
It most certainly will not continue to be the most watched sports in the country after this. Find another way to reach military families, otherwise you will only alienate them.

Nicngiamom
Contributor
September
Please end your support of the NFL sponsorship. The money of this company which is member money should not be funding a group which clearly no longer represents the American people. This sponsorship is advertisement and I would suggest spending our money where our members are frequenting. The NFL is a billion dollar business. Let them get their funding elsewhere. I'm sure the USAA Corporate bigwigs don't want to give up the obvious benefits they receive from the NFL...

Maggie A
Army Navy Contributor
September
Has USAA forgotten who their customers are?????.  These NFL players certainty have a right to freedom of speech and that same freedom to consequences.  By kneeling to our flag and nation anthem they showing the upmost disrespect. Our military would DIE for that flag HOW DARE YOU support anyone or any organization that does NOT have the same respect for our country.
COMMENTS ON THE NFL FROM OUR POLITICAL AND MILITARY LEADERSHIP, AND VETERANS ORGANIZATIONS

FoxSports
Published November 28, 2017
Headline: Trump continues to complain about the NFL

The president says: "The American public is fed up with the disrespect the NFL is paying to our Country, our Flag and our National Anthem. Weak and out of control!"

FoxNews.com
Published October 8, 2017
Headline: Vice President Mike Pence leaves Colts-49ers game after players kneel during anthem

"I left today's Colts game because @POTUS and I will not dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag, or our National Anthem," Pence tweeted.

Navy Times
By: David B. Larter  
September 9, 2016

Headline: Legendary SEAL leader: National anthem protests disrespect the military

The legendary SEAL commander who reminded America of the importance of making your bed is weighing into the national anthem protests inspired by an NFL quarterback.
Retired Adm. Bill McRaven, the former head of U.S. Special Operations Command who commanded the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, in his role as chancellor of the University of Texas system called on U-T athletics managers to urge athletes to stand up straight, hand over heart, during the national anthem
"I spent 37 years defending freedom of speech and freedom of expression," McRaven wrote. "Nothing is more important to this democracy. Nothing! However, while no one should be compelled to stand, they should recognize that by sitting in protest to the flag they are disrespecting everyone who sacrificed to make this country what it is today -- as imperfect as it might be."
McRaven doesn't want to see any such protest from his Longhorns, saying the American flag is a reminder of the enduring commitment to improve the nation and a symbol that demands respect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily Mail
By Associated Press and Emily Crane For Dailymail.com
03:06 08 Dec 2016, updated 14:59 08 Dec 2016

Headline: 'You can bet they never took a knee': Admiral gets a standing ovation as he uses his speech at Pearl Harbor anniversary to publicly call out Colin Kaepernick for protesting the national anthem 

A U.S. Navy Admiral has trolled NFL player Colin Kaepernick as he called for people to stand during the national anthem during a Pearl Harbor memorial speech.
U.S. Pacific Command Commander Adm. Harry Harris said on Wednesday that those who served during the attack on Pearl Harbor never failed to stand for the national anthem.

His remarks at a ceremony marking the 75th anniversary of the Japanese attack generated a lengthy standing ovation from the crowd, with people whistling and hooting. 

Thousands gathered for the event, held on a pier across the harbor from where the USS Arizona sank during the 1941 attack.  
'You can bet that the men and women we honor today - and those who died that fateful morning 75 years ago - never took a knee and never failed to stand whenever they heard our national anthem being played,' Harris said to nearly a minute of clapping, whistles and whoops.

Army Times
By: Leo Shane III  
September 25, 2017

Headline: VFW, American Legion slam NFL players for anthem protests

WASHINGTON — Officials from two of the nation’s largest veterans groups attacked this weekend’s National Football League protests as “disrespectful” to the American flag and the country.

“There is a time and place for civil debate, and wearing team jerseys and using sporting events to disrespect our country doesn’t wash with millions of military veterans who have and continue to wear real uniforms on real battlefields around the globe,” said Keith Harman, national commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Stars and Stripes
By NIKKI WENTLING
Published: January 22, 2018

Headline: NFL rejects Super Bowl ad from veterans group that asks players to stand during anthem

WASHINGTON — The National Football League rejected an advertisement for its official Super Bowl LII programs that urged players and people who attend the game to stand during the National Anthem, according to American Veterans, the organization that submitted the ad.
Omitted from the programs was a full-page ad picturing the American flag, saluting soldiers and the words “Please Stand,” referring to the movement of NFL players protesting racial inequality and injustice by kneeling during the performance of the National Anthem before the start of games.

Joe Chenelly, the national director of American Veterans, known as AMVETS, said Monday that the group was “surprised and disappointed” when the NFL told him Friday the league had rejected the ad.

“The NFL said it does not want to take a position on that,” Chenelly said. “Really, by not letting us run an ad, we think they are taking a position.”

AMVETS, an organization comprising approximately 250,000 veterans and 1,400 posts nationwide, sent a letter to Goodell on Monday calling the decision to exclude their ad an affront to free speech.

The Blaze
Headline: Retired Marine colonel pens scathing letter to NFL commissioner: ‘Legends and heroes do not wear shoulder pads’

One Marine colonel is not happy with National Football League commissioner Roger Goodell.

Retired Marine Col. Jeffrey A. Powers has taken specific issue with NFL commissioner Goodell, who has allowed the anthem protests to continue while threatening to fine players who honored the anniversary of 9/11 by wearing commemorative cleats.

Writing in an open letter to Goodell, Powers said the “multi-millionaire athletes who never did anything in their lives but play a game” are “essentially spitting in the faces and on the graves of real men, men who have actually done something for this country.”

According to Powers, Goodell is “complicit” in making NFL players believe “they’re something special.”
“You are complicit in this!” Powers wrote. “You’ll fine players for large and small infractions but you lack the moral courage and respect for our nation and the fallen to put an immediate stop to this.”

“You condone it all by your refusal to act. You’re just as bad and disgusting as they are,” he added. “I hope Americans boycott any sponsor who supports that rabble you call the NFL. I hope they turn off the TV when any team that allowed this disrespect to occur, without consequence, on the sidelines. I applaud those who have not.”
“Legends and heroes do NOT wear shoulder pads,” Powers continued. “They wear body armor and carry rifles.”
SAMPLE OF MEMBER COMMENTS ON THE USAA BOARD OF DIRECTORS
PAGE 1 of 3

Retired AF Veteran
10-11-2017 10:38 PM
The next step we should take is to recall each of the present Board and elect onto the Board members who represent the values of its members.

Sox Fan
Regular Contributor
22 Dec17
When leaders fail to listen to their people, it is time to replace the leaders.

Gunny22
10-18-2017 09:04 AM
I agree with the NFL Petition.  Time to stop the support for the NFL.  Time to seek new leadership at USAA.

HighFive
10-18-2017 12:18 PM
I agree with this petition, it is sad the USAA BOD's have maintained this relationship with the unpatriotic National Football League....when is the next BOD member vote and how do we make an impact to send a louder message?  Fortunately there are many other quality insurance companies to send my business to.

SMHJR
11-05-2017 10:28 AM
I think we all need to get behind putting a new Board in place that understands and listens to its members. As USAA members, we need to band together and root out the ineffective leadership that views themselves as greater than the membership. I remember the day when USAA did not have to advertise and we were a great company. But now ....

ohen
11-04-2017 07:23 AM
Yes, our "leadership" at USAA MUST change if they think supporting the nfl still is acceptable.
This is beyond wrong and if they can not understand that, and the position of their members, then they simply can not lead USAA.

CrossedPistols
10-18-2017 06:13 PM
Add my name to the list of those disappointed - no, disgusted is more like it, with USAA's position on this.  USAA has demonstrated, like the NFL, they are not willing to do the right thing unless there are financial repercussions.  I am joining the ever-growing number of members looking to take their business elsewhere.
Current USAA leadership has demonstrated that they have not only lost sight of their mission since the company was founded, but those on the board that previously wore the uniform have lost faith with those they served with.
It makes me wonder what could motivate those in positions of responsibility at USAA to do (not do) what they have done (not done)?  Money?  Status?  Season tickets?
Whatever it was, I hope the board values it much more than the respect of their members.  Because they have lost the latter and are stuck with the former, whatever it may be
Few things disgust me more than senior personnel abandoning those they are honored to lead.  IMHO that is just what USAA has done.
The lack of integrity, honor and committment to duty and members displayed by USAA will not be forgotten.....even should the NFL protests stop tomorrow.
This 30+ year member and retired Colonel will soon be a former USAA member.  

Torch01
10-18-2017 01:25 PM
I am a 42 year member of USAA.  Recently, and our General Membership meeting of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, we unanimously voted to suspend all showing of NFL Football games.  Most all agreed that any display such as this disrespect to our Flag, Our Anthem, our country,and insults our SERVICE!  Afterwards, one of the members briefed that USAA supports the NFL...shameful!!  HOW DO YOU SERVE OUR WARRIORS IN THIS WAY!  My family is now looking at suspending USAA as our Insurance company.
STOP SUPPORTING THIS DISGRACEFUL ORGANIZATION!

atocha
11-05-2017 07:09 PMI
I joined USAA in * and it's gone straight down hill since Gen. McDermott retired as CEO.  The current management is a complete joke, as evidenced by their continuing financial support of the NFL.  USAA says it stands behind their members, yet they funnel millions of dollars in advertising to a league that completely disrespects the flag and national anthem.  The players can do whatever they want, but not on my dime.  My premiums are paying for these ads and I've had enough.  The CEO and entire board should be fired immediately.  The day when they're all gone can't come soon enough.

Gumby75
10-08-2017 04:16 PM
I have to say I am shocked!  On the entire BOD there is not one leader left.  Not one leader that will stand up and say that supporting the NFL is wrong!  Only silence - SAD.  Well, after 37 years with USAA I am moving on. 

hafajc
12-06-2017 01:34 PM
I used to think that USAA was something special, but turns out they are just another company sucking money from where ever they can.  The USAA Board Members are WITHOUT HONOR--SELLOUTS!!!  Good luck with your new demographic that you are marketing to, NFL and USAA.  Maybe you'll now include draft dodgers from the 1960's and 70's as veterans of some social war, people who crossed the border into Canada can join the VFW--you can advertise to them (but they are getting old, too.)  But remember, those few remaining people with true values and  integrity see you for what you are.

Member since 78
10-28-2017 03:03 PM
The USAA CEO and Board will eventually have to realize their stubborn refusal to listen to the membership will cost them on the bottom line, as well as their positions when the next proxy vote comes up.

Frustrated in DC
11-07-2017 03:50 PM
I am a 40+ year member. USAA Management and Board it's do not care about member views or the quality of the service they provide. Only care about their bonuses and how they can pad their resumes at the expense of members. They are just boasting about how great they are. Service has gotten terrible, and caused me to move my investment and most of my banking to other providers. Quit wasting money that is not yours!!!!

Hanya
11-08-2017 12:23 AM
The CEO of USAA is disregarding the membership and it's obvious that the senior executives do not respect the members who built this company and own this company.
If there is a lawyer who may read this comment, please, we need to start a class action lawsuit. We need the CEO and the Board of Directors replaced. USAA is wasting our money on needless advertising. We need to move our comments from internal USAA blogs to a public forum.

Omega99
10-06-2017 01:00 PM
Management at USAA is completely out of touch with their owners.  They need to go.  Total lack of leadership.  The CEO can't even make a statement, pretty sad.  27 year soon to be ex-member.

coljwcowan
October
We must to take direct action and contact the board of directors. As other members have said USAA claims to be a member owned organization made up of prior active duty military service and family members. Yesterday the NFL players in London again stood tall for ”God Save the Queen" yet knelt for our National Anthem of the United States of America and yet you and “USAA” believe this is appropriate? As a member for 45 years this is a total disgrace to our entire membership. Request the name, address and email for each of our Board of Directors in order to contact the decision makers directly about USAA’s abhorrent decision to continue support of the NFL with the funds of their members.  I would also request the date of the next voting period for the board of directors. USAA decision makers must end "our" support of the NFL now

AV8TR65
10-18-2017 01:17 PM
I'm a 50 year member of USAA and have always admired its leadership. I don't on this issue. Am I going to walk away from USAA. No. However, I won't as enthusiastically recommend USAA as I have always done. The decision on NFL sponsoship by USAA is a misguided decision. Is this a controversial topic? Yes! Considering the membership of USAA, what that membership has done for decades, and the values USAA espouses, it is clear the decision to continue to support the NFL's poor leadership and unpatriotic performance is a bad decision. It's not an irreversible decision. Consider what your members are saying and the responsibility the BOD has to that membership. You can fix this and show that you support what our flag and country stand for.

eli1101
11-07-2017 05:27 PM
USAA's BOD is devoid of leadership and acts in an invertebrate manner.

Montana member
10-31-2017 05:24 PM
BODs, Have you no honor, gentlemen? Look around - your membership is not and will not follow you down this path.

SONBIRD
10-13-2017 05:32 AM
USAA is drifting away, far away.  I am a 62+year member and I have never seen it like this. 

Member since 78
10-15-2017 01:46 PM
USAA is stalling, in hopes this will be forgotten. No way will the patriotic members forget, especially when we overthrow the Board next year!
SAMPLE OF MEMBER COMMENTS ON THE BOD
PAGE 2 of 3

Jim7k
10-07-2017 07:30 AM
I have been a member of the USAA association for nearly 50 years. I am ashamed of the way the leadership of this once patriotic organization has slipped into divisiveness.

ChaplainCharlie
10-10-2017 08:15 PM
I am ashamed of USAA.  I'm disappointed with the board.  

GoBroncos
10-05-2017 05:46 PM
Shame on USAA "leadership".  As a 38 year member I've closed my investments, will do so on Visa card, and shopping for all of my home and auto insurance.  Enough stonewalling and liberal excuses.  Out!

Common_Sense
10-26-2017 10:35 AM
Amen - USAA is going to pot! 
Sponsoring the NFL while such disgraceful actions are permitted is clearly a slap in the face to all who serve(d).  I agree - time to rid ourselves of the current USAA Senior Management...or just move on.

sluggo05
10-30-2017 01:01 PM
Unless the members unite to elect a new Board of Directors, senior management will not change. 

COCHISE1992
10-05-2017 03:01 PM
Shame on the USAA leadership. You need to be fired.

Military Veteran
10-07-2017 02:21 AM
I am more than disappointed in the leadership of usaa. Shame on the company. Listen to your members.

Oh, say can you see
10-11-2017 07:21 AM
USAA, there is no Honor or Appreciation in your message to Veterans like myself, USAA is a disgrace!!

time on the pond
10-09-2017 03:35 PM
It is time for the board to respond to the will of the members. Stop your support for the NFL. Your freebies from the NFL are not worth subverting your moral standards. End NFL sponsorship now.

Member since '68
10-09-2017 02:11 PM
As a long-time member I'm very concerned about the deterioration of USAA's commitment to it's members.  I'm adding my voice to the petition in hopes that the BOD will recognize the error of it's ways.  Am beginning the process of moving  our banking and insurance business from USAA as of today.

Starlord 101
12-10-2017 10:25 AM
Usaa doesn’t care about what the membership wants they want their social agenda

Mooseplt
10-17-2017 07:59 AM
The BoD makes more $ than 99% of USAA members. It takes 1% to call them to the table, but what will that change?
They had their test. They failed. Moving $ elsewhere. It's just business.

Mic1
10-17-2017 09:40 AM
The Buck stops at the top.  The USAA CEO is Stuart Parker, who clearly has made the Decision to wholeheartedly provide emotional Support to the NFL "Kneelers" and has also directed that OUR money, the money of USAA member/owners, be spent to Support the "Kneelers" via Sponsorship of the NFL.  
Furthermore, Mr. Parker has apparently also directed all USAA Board Members and Senior Management to also Support the "Kneelers", and to REFUSE TO RESPOND to the concerns of the member/owners.
This is the very same Stuart Parker who directed that ALL USAA Ads be immediately withdrawn from the Shawn Hannity show, and apparently from ANY AND ALL Shows or Organizations that support Conservative causes.  In short, Mr. Parker has apparently issued an Edict that not only will USAA REFUSE to Support any Conservative cause, and ONLY Liberal causes will receive the member/owners monies, but that USAA will begin to slowly but surely WITHDRAW from its longstanding association with the American Military.   
If you want to continue USAA's Support and longstanding association with the U.S. Military, then CEO Parker must go.  Make your views known every day and ATTEND THE ANNUAL MEETING.  Let the CEO know that his REFUSAL to Listen to the member/owners and respond to their concerns, will NOT be tolerated, and his Support for the "Kneelers" must  end!!!

pkdcm
10-17-2017 01:58 PM
To the Board of Directors,
     I find it disturbing that you to have lost your perspective and the understanding of purpose of your position at USAA, to SERVE its members.  Collectively the BOD have chosen to side with the NFL over the Service Members you claim to so loyally serve.  The vast majority of you are Veterans and I am dismayed at your lack of loyalty to fellow Veterans. As one President once stated in a choice of loyalty, "You either stand with us, or you stand against us". As far as I can see you stand against us. You need to find your way back to the path you once swore a Oath to uphold, To protect and defend against ALL enemies forgein and domestic.  If you do not see this NFL protest as anything other than assault against the values of what the Veterans fought and died for, you are in the wrong job and need to step down.  I am not just disappointed, I am disgusted.

FourLabs
10-18-2017 07:15 PM
It turns my stomach to see USAA supporting (yes, that's what they are doing) the NFL players making millions and not respecting our flag. USAA leadership is out of touch. If they keep on supporting the NFL, we need new leaders.

Air Force Boy
10-18-2017 05:54 PM
I would have never considered attending an annual meeting before.  I mean, really, who goes to these things?  But now, I think I'd be willing to make the drive from Pennsylvania to sit in on this one.  The USAA meeting...a visit to San Antonio and ordering the chicken fried steak special at the Alamo Cafe' (if they're still around)  

jim185
10-18-2017 04:13 PM
Is the USAA "leadership" out of touch with those of us who are members of USAA (I have been a member for over 40 years) and the values of honor to our country that many of us have lived by?
Regarding the complete disregard of our flag, anthem, and military, the NFL "leadership" seems to be in sync with the "leadership" at USAA who support them with ad money.  As for me, the flag, anthem and fellow service members were all something that I risked my life for and it is pretty sad that USAA is spending funds in support of a business that clearly cares more about money and a bunch of entitled crybabies than honor. 
Maybe the USAA leadership should go sign up for a job with the NFL leadership as it appears that neither gourp seems to have the fortitude to stand up against a bunch of individuals who wouldn't have the guts to do what many of our service members and retirees have done for this country.
As for me I am done with the NFL for good....hope that USAA management wakes up.
Can we as members vote them out ?

Peaks1
10-19-2017 06:49 PM
USAA Senior Management Team
Please cease worrying about the bottomline and do what each of you know you should do.  Drop sponsorship of the NFL until they themselves do the right thing by supporting the Armed Forces and our country with the ordering of all players to cease demonstrations during the playing of the National Anthem.
Do what's right -- what Gen McDermott would have done if he were here.  

Susan B Anthony
10-04-2017 06:14 PM
The board of directors are elected to one year terms at the Annual General meeting, which always is sometime within the first 90 days of the calendar year.  They in turn elect all the officers of the company. Perhaps the time for members to constructively influence the company is at the annual general meeting.

Greg5
10-19-2017 12:28 PM
I agree with the petition. I also can't wait for the next BOD election. We need to drain THIS swamp apparently.

Mic1
10-19-2017 09:22 AM
NFL Commissioner Goodell Publicly states that the NFL will SUPPORT and ALLOW for continued "Kneeling" during the National Anthem.
USAA CEO, Stuart Parker, agrees to Provide FINANCIAL Support for the "Kneelers" and will NOT Respond to the concerns of USAA Members.
Shame, shame, shame.

Not the Same Bank
10-19-2017 01:31 PM
I am absolutely disgusted by USAA's leadership and their collective decision to continue sponsor the NFL.  I am in full agreement that the current BOD and CEO need to resign immediately, and if they lack the moral courage to do so, then we must take action during the next election cycle and vote ALL of them out!

Knoxville CWO
10-23-2017 08:43 AM
Keep posting and tell your friends about it too.
Half the members (all retired) I tell have no idea what's going on with this so-called leader of USAA and the BoD.
Sign the petition too.
Semper Fidelis!

AACC
10-24-2017 04:37 PM
Concur, already researching other banks to move my money too. Shame on USAA, the CEO, and board for their disrespectful behavior. Seeing themselves now I see...