Military Spouse Appreciation Day - It is Not Just For Females Only

Highlighted

USAA_National-Military-Appreciation-Month.jpg

Everyone;

National Military Appreciation Month (NMAM) is celebrated every May and is a declaration that encourages U.S. citizens to observe the month in a symbol of unity, to honor the current and former members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those who have died in the pursuit of freedom.  The month of May is characterized by six national observances highlighting the contributions of each

There are 6 National Observances during National Military Appreciation Month

1. Loyalty Day (Wednesday, May 1st, 2014)
  2. Public Service Recognition Week (PSRW) (Sunday, May 4th – Saturday, May 10th, 2014)
  3. Victory in Europe Day AKA V-E Day or VE Day (Thursday, May 8th, 2014)
  4. Military Spouse Appreciation Day (Friday, May 9th, 2014)
  5. Armed Forces Day (Saturday, May 17th, 2014)
  6. Memorial Day  (Monday, May 26th, 2014)

------------------------------

What this post is about is a discussion that Military Spouse Appreciation Day - It is Not Just For Females Only.

I was reading this other USAA Member Community Posting titled My New Perspective of Military Spouse Appreciation Day and was concerned that it was very "female centric" from the picture used in the post to the "comments" from military spouses on Facebook.

I am posting this to recoginize the role that "stay at home dads and husbands" play in our current military family units. That said, I am not belittling or denigrating the important role that military husbands and dads whom serve proudly worldwide (often with another military wife and mother also serving proudly), or even civilian female spouses, play in our current military families.

Often when you mention "Military Spouse" you mostly get a reference to a "wife" because historically this had been true in the past. It is important to note, however, that the Department of Defense numbers show women making up 29.3 percent of the active duty military in 2013 -- up from 1.4 percent in 1970.

In 2010 there were 1,417,370 DoD Active Duty military personnel. Of those, Women, who number 203,695, comprised 14.4 percent of the DoD Active Duty force, while 1,213,675 men comprised 85.6 percent of the DoD Active Duty force.

In 2010, according to the report found here here, while military women are less likely than their male counterparts to be married (46% vs. 58%), those women who do marry are much more likely than men to wed someone who is also in the active-duty military (48% vs. 7%) as shown here.

What this means is in 2010 that 93,700 female DoD Active Duty military personnel were married, and of those, 44,976 were wed to someone who is also in the active-duty military. That translates to roughly 48,724 civilian male spouses of DoD Active Duty military personnel in 2010, and rising.

USAA_First_Military_Spouse_of_the_Year_2.jpg

(Source: Military Spouse Magazine)

As to illustrate my point, in 2012, the Military Spouse magazine named Jeremy Hilton (pictured above), a MAN, its "Military Spouse of the Year". The full article about Jeremy can be found here.

BOTTOM LINE

It is my wish that USAA (and its Members) fully acknowledge the role that Military Spouses (both Male and Female) play in our current military family units.

This post is my small effort in helping USAA (and its Members) accomplish this worthy goal.

Thanks for reading.

2 REPLIES

Highlighted

Thanks Website Guru. This is a great post and a good reminder that the male military spouses out there need as much thanks and recognition as their female counterparts. The article I wrote was written from my perspective and in no way did I intend to alienate the male spouses out there! Thanks again for a great post and Happy Military Spouse Appreciation Day to ALL the spouses out there! :)

Highlighted

I think that happens often, and absolutely not on purpose or with malicious intent. In no way do any of us female spouses not want to welcome and/or recognize the service of male spouses. I run "Army Wife Network" but I can tell you our team 100% support male spouses and welcome them on our network (and if they're not comfortable there we have a list of resources specifically for male spouses to refer them to - such as Macho Spouse). It isn't that our team doesn't recognize or appreciate the male spouse community at AWN but rather that we are Army wives and so that network is built by us and from our perspective so Brianna, I relate. 

I think, too, that there are many male spouses out there but not as many that are vocal and seen. Jeremy Hilton is a friend of mine and he does amazing work. I wish more male spouses would put themselves out there as leaders in our community so that the population had a louder and more recognizable voice. 

Website Guru, you are heard and you are understood. More importantly, YOU ARE APPRECIATED! :) Thank you for the very great discussion topic and for pointing out how very important EVERY military spouse is to our journey!