Highlighted
Contributor

I went back to school later in life and got my degree in Civil Engineering.  However, I separated before the magic 20 years and separated honorably with 14+.   However I cannot get any veterans preferance for any of my time in....... I am curious about all of this as I feel like I am beating my head against a wall every time I put in for a federal job.......... I do not begrudge anyone that served in the armed services, but hey, I am not chopped liver here! Even the pulldown menus are for the armed services typically..........

2 REPLIES

Try applying for a job that you are over qualified for, I took a $10 paycut and once I was in the federal system I qualified for an internal job. In less than 2 years I was promoted into a proper position and may up the $10 + that I originally lost. It is very tough getting a federal job nowadays! Some vets go through a Co-op program to get a Federal job...you must be willing to make sacrifices.
Highlighted

Many thanks for your unput......... really.  How long were you out before you got hired? And did you use veterans preference to get your toe in the door?    That is my concrern the veterans preference part.  

Thanks !