From On-base housing to civilian housing (financial)

Highlighted
Contributor

I was an AF Brat, then an AF wife always living on base. So the biggest shock for me was how much it cost to live off base and how many utilities needed to be paid for. It never occurred to me that I had to pay for trash pick up, and sewers. If you're going to rent, find out which utilities you will be responsible for. Most power companies want a security deposit. I have now learned that because I have an account at the local credit union, they will post a guarantee and I don't have to pay the security deposit at the local power company. So when you call (or web) to set up power service, check and see if there is any other way than paying that security deposit. If you must pay the security deposit, some utilities will let you spread out the payment on the security deposit up to three months. And of course by now I hope everyone knows that the credit unions don't charge fees like banks do. You can save a lot of money with a credit union account. No, I don't work for the credit union, I'm just a member :) Finally, if you start visiting churches in your new location, there will be lots of people there with advice about what neighborhoods to move into, which cable company to use, maybe even support groups for young moms, like MOPS (mothers of pre-schoolers). God Bless you during your transition !