Highlighted

Stay rational

Active officer's avatar User  Active officer  (Opens a pop up layer) Regular Contributor

I hope USAA continues to support the NFL. It's a strong brand and a good vehicle for marketing.

Please ignore the irrational and overly emotional rhetoric that appears to be very common among USAA members. First, there are so many legitimate and actually significant issues in the United States and the world to care about - interesting that they can't be bothered with those things but have time to be outraged by a perceived affront to veterans. Second, patriotism isn't about making people stand for a symbol, patriotism is about making a country where people want to. I'm proud to have spent my adult life in service to the constitution. I am proudest when I see people exercise their rights to combat injustice - whether I agree with their perception or not. Because when they do, they're every bit as much a patriot as I or any of these faux outraged people.

Re: Stay rational

Standing Strong's avatar User  Standing Strong  (Opens a pop up layer) Regular Contributor

Irrational rhetoric??  Seriously?  That's interesting.  Would your employer permit you stop working whenever you want  so you can protest?  The NFL has a policy that does not permit players to sit or kneel during the anthem.  They are violating their own policy and forcing their beliefs on NFL fans.  If you walked into a store and a bunch of employees who were kkk members begin to throw propaganda at you, what would you do?

Active officer's avatar User  Active officer  (Opens a pop up layer) Regular Contributor

Interesting you type irrational rhetoric with a question mark and then proceed to provide an example.

The NFL can and should enforce their rule on kneeling/sitting during the national anthem and fine players/teams who chose to do so. After all, protest that costs nothing isn't really protest. But I suspect the NFL won't in this case. Because I think the actions of most teams were more directed at the President than at racial inequality/injustice. And I think my original comment applies to the President as much as it does to the legion of faux outraged 'patriots' commenting here - save your emotional energy and cheap displays of patriotism for something that really matters.

Standing Strong's avatar User  Standing Strong  (Opens a pop up layer) Regular Contributor

I didn't think you'd answer my question.

Cheap displays of patriotism?  What did I say that said anything about my patriotism?  I gave you a scenario and asked a question, which you danced around. 

I did answer your question while ignoring your false equivalency and the quoque scenario. But you seem obtuse, so I'll be more clear.

The most recent display over the weekend from the NFL was not an attempt to 'force' their fans to do or believe anything - that choice is yours. Rather it was a response to a petulant public figure (our Predident) and his effort to deflect onto an issue for a variety of reasons. The original kneeling protests were an attempt to recognize/spark discussion about the complex issues of racial inequality in America. So do please try to be clear and precise, to do otherwise cheapens your line of reasoning.

As to your tu quoque KKK reference. Bigots who choose to pass out pamphlets or materials are always free to do so. And I am free to read or not read their garbage. I am also free to not frequent an establishment if they allow such things to occur on their property. And you are free to turn off your TV and stop watching football (in fact I encourage you to - think of the good you could accomplish in your community if you spent your Sunday volunteeering rather than watching TV).

That's as far as your comparison can go in terms of a logical argument. There is no equivalency between the KKK and a handful of people choosing to kneel or not come out of the locker room during the national anthem. The former have historically and presently cause harm to people, which automatically is an infringement of someone else's rights and thus not in the same realm as the latter.

JEarhart's avatar User  JEarhart  (Opens a pop up layer) Contributor

A active officer who disrespects his commander in chief!

Well...  I respect your opinion, even if you choose to take the "I'm better than you" approach by name calling and attacking statements I didn't even make.  You can attach any labels you wish to those who see this differently than you do.  I don't need to make condescending remarks to explain my statements.

And regarding your assumption that I don't serve my community, I challenge you to back that assumption up.  You have no clue what I do and don't do.  Yet you make assumptions that I am not out there helping the community.  This is the same old routine arguments that are based on assumptions and not facts.  But since you chose to question what I do with my time...

I put my life on the line serving my community as a state trooper.  I also have spent the last 17 years volunteering my free time to Special Olympics.  I run races for causes like the Wounded Warriors program and COPS programs who dedicate their time helping families who lost love ones in the line of duty.

So by all means send me all the condescending, name calling and label making replies you wish.  I don't need to use those tactics.

Thanks for your self-righteous response. Please note I made a statement of fact (less watching of football on Sunday can lead to more opportunities to volunteer) which you presumed as an ad hominem attack on you. It was not and it is unfortunate you interpreted it that way, thus focusing on your feelings of being aggrieved rather than circling back to the original issue - irrational, overly emotional, radically simplified virtue signaling about kneeling during the national anthem.

Thanks for your service in uniform and continued service to your community.

[ Edited ]

Avoid the taxman's avatar User  Avoid the taxman  (Opens a pop up layer) Frequent Contributor

An "Active Duty Officer"’s first inclination is to attack fellow USAA members personally for expressing their opinion about the flag and the nation being disrespected?

That is shameful.

Popular Topics
Close Pop-up