Highlighted
Contributor

Any suggestions on what nearby town to look for a rental? What about good neighborhoods and schools? Fun things for kids to do and great places to eat? Any and all advice about the area would be appreciated! Thanks for the help in advance!

1 REPLY

Hello, I grew up in New London, CT as a Navy brat, and now I'm a CPT in the Army. I would highly recommend the town of Waterford for the best schools and the best neighborhoods. It's close enough to the base (about 20 min drive depending on where you are in Waterford) and close enough to the major cities that are in CT. I graduated from UCONN and I visited NYC several times and flew in and out of Providence (PVD). My favorite restaurants are the Recovery Room in New London (a little hole in the wall in New London) and Pauls Pasta in Groton (home made pasta hole in the wall) and Flander's Fish Market in East Lyme. If you like seafood, you can pick up a batch of fresh caught fish every morning in Old Saybrook, about 30 min drive north. If you want recommendations on a church, I'd recommend Sea Port Community Church in Groton, the church caters to a lot of military and has a great kids program. Good luck and enjoy CT!