Highlighted
Contributor
I recently went abroad for the first time in my life, for a vacation to the Dominican Republic. One day into vacation, I had the same pains as other people in my group--symptoms of food poisoning, hangover, chills. As everyone else got better, I did not. I went to the doctor on duty, and was diagnosed with extreme dehydration...and rushed to a hospital in a foreign land. The doctor diagnosed me with Appendicitis and needing surgery. The hospital administrator told me that my insurance isn't covered there, and that I would need to pay in full before the surgery would be performed. Period, no exceptions. $12,000. I had no credit card limit near what they wanted, but I had to have the surgery. I was terrified. I had no idea how I would be able to do this. Cell phone service wouldn't work in the hospital, and I couldn't get a hold of any family that had the means to help. Time was critical. I called USAA internationally for assistance. I explained my situation, literally crying and breaking down on the phone. The woman who took my call did everything to help, working to reach family that I said would be able to help, and not leaving me until I was able to be taken care of. I just wanted to openly say thank you to USAA and this wonderful person, who helped me when it mattered most. I have been a member for 20 years, and I definitely am for life.