Highlighted
Contributor

I inherited USAA from my father Arthur L. Webster II. His father, Lewis Selwyn Webster, was an early military aviator, appearing in "A List of Airplane Pilot Officers of the United States Army Air Service Commissioned Prior to 12 November 1918". He participated in the Coast to Coast Reliability Race in 1919, and submitted his notes to General Billy Mitchell. He later flew with Billy Mitchell in the 1921 demonstration bombings in Chesapeake Bay. He was also an early USAA member.

Family lore claims that he served on one of the very early USAA boards of directors. Is it possible for someone at USAA to confirm or refute his participation in USAA during its early days?

1012010_scan_02_mf_RT_reduced.jpg

1 REPLY

Highlighted

I live in Milwaukee, which is home to General Billy Mitchell.  (The airport here is named after Billy Mitchell if you did not know that.  I have actually been in the boyhood home of Billy Mitchell.  It is currently an Residential Facility for older adults, but they have kept many of the rooms true to the boyhood home.  I could just imagine that little Billy Mitchell playing in that home, riding the banisters of the steps.  It has beautiful stained glass in the stairwells.  Running up and down the hill.  

I believe I am first generation USAA... but I know my neice who has been in the Navy for about 2 years now, joined USAA at my urging for her auto insurance and has been very pleased with it.