Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
I have been a member with usaa since 2001 with never any issues until the beginning of March 2014 when I travel to Dominican Republic and fraud start occurring after I use my card at one establishment. I told usaa when ever I withdraw money overseas they ask for my passport as well as the debit card and they make a copy of both items and staple them together. So if any establishments cannot provide you with a copy of my passport or DOD ID then it is not legit, so in return they told me that I signed the receipt and that it is my signature and I told them that anyone can do any signatures I want the proof of my passport, debit card and military ID.
Now USAA have my checking account at a negative of more than 5000 dollars.
I had in my account 8000 dollars and I receive 3000 monthly and social security for my children now all gone and on top of that the month April they withdraw close to 3000 in the Dominican Republic from the ATM and the representative tells me that take it up with authority and they cannot do anything for me. This is so unfair, I even send them copy of my passport where it was stamped for me entering and leaving the Dominican Republic and they can see none of the dates match.
I need help to get my money I am a 100% disabled veteran with 4 children and now my account is at a negative 5000+ I even applied for a credit card and they turned me down. And all this occurred in March and April HELP

8 REPLIES

Highlighted

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about your terrible situation. If I may offer a few tips...

First things first, get an account set up with another bank and imediately change any direct deposits while this situation remains unresolved. Do not allow another dime to be deposited into any USAA accounts.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau , a .gov website, has been helping people like you when their banks do not follow federal regualtions or consumer protection laws. You can call them at 855-411-2372 for assistance. You can file a complaint regarding the issues you describe. Articles in Forbes, CNBC, and several other major news organizations say the agency is getting some very productive results for consumers.

I know this is a nightmare for you, but take a deep breath and don't go down without a fight.

Best wishes and prayers for a quick resolution...

Highlighted

I was looking for something else and happened upon this post. I am so sorry this happened to you and your family. I don't have any financial advice but only prayers for you and your family! God is good and his plans are not our own and we will praise Him in this Storm. May you guys be blessed!

Highlighted
Now mind you I have been a loyal customer for the past 13 years with 0 issues, I use to praise them for the work that they're doing for the armed forces family. But like I said all of my problems started in March through the beginning of May where they stole more than 9000+ dollars through ATM and other purchases and how am I going to get any help from a third world country I visited. Instead of having my plus savings now USAA have my account negative 5,680 dollars. We cannot even make it with what I receive as disability and now on top of that I am negative. They even turn me down for a credit card so if any supervisor read my story help. I think the CEO needs to know how rude and disrespectful some of their workers can be. It is the same issue as when a soldier is trying to get disability for his service they act like it is their money that soldier is after but NO we sacrifice our lives and our family. As a 100% disabled veteran God will always be on my side and protect me.
Highlighted

I'm with Tino34, my prayers are with you also, as i know how much a nightmare this can be.  I also went through a theft crisis, but not as serious as yours.  We had over $1000 in online purchases from our acct. with Navy Federal, which i would like to say handled the situation wonderfuly.  They credited our acct with the money that was in question until the situation can be resolved, and started investigating immediately.  Now the only downside is once the situation is resolved, they may or may not recope those funds back, but it depends on the circumstance, which i feel in your case, should be insured.  I also agree with ARi33, to immediately cancel all cards, checks, and anything that is linked to that account until its resolved.  I truly pray that God will lead you through this dark time in your life, although i'm not a veteran, my husband is in the military (navy branch). but i am disabled.  I also know that God will provide, and no weapon formed against us shall prosper, so you hang in there and stay in prayer.  God bless you!!!

Highlighted
I've found this in a forum about theft in the Dominican Republic. 04-04-2014, 11:56 AM #1 Scrabblebiker Regular Join Date Mar 2014 Posts 67 Post Thanks / Like ATM Card Has Been Skimmed Hi all. I'm not sure this is the right place for this post, but here we go. For those of you who may have read my trip report you'll know that I was having a hard time getting cash during my trip. It turns out that my ATM card had been skimmed. My Credit Union blocked my account as soon as they knew. Luckily, no cash was missing from my account. The card could have been skimmed anywhere, including back home. But the two ATM's I used in the DR before the card stopped functioning were Banco BHD and Scotiabank, both in Cabarete. Due to ongoing police investigations, the credit union will not divulge the exact location of the skimming but better safe than sorry. ...Michelle Reply With Quote Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes Sosua Sonny, s1mpleton liked this post 04-04-2014, 12:06 PM #2 cobraboy Platinum Join Date Jul 2004 Posts 20,430 Post Thanks / Like It's advised that credit & debit cards be unused as much as possible, especially in the tourist areas. I've had credit & debit cards compromised 8 times in 6 years. DR1 Anarchist & Cholesterol Pimp "The older he gets, the better he was." Reply With Quote Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes Criss Colon liked this post 04-04-2014, 12:20 PM #3 Scrabblebiker Regular Join Date Mar 2014 Posts 67 Post Thanks / Like I'm wondering if it's safe to walk into a bank and get a cash advance with one's passport. At least they won't have the PIN. For now, what I'm doing is using credit cards with very low credit limits. I also make sure to create sub accounts at my credit union which aren't linked to the ATM accessible account. These accounts contain the bulk of my cash and I transfer just what I need shortly before making a withdrawal. I miss the old days where all you had to worry about was replacing lost traveler's cheques. Originally Posted by cobraboy It's advised that credit & debit cards be unused as much as possible, especially in the tourist areas. I've had credit & debit cards compromised 8 times in 6 years. Reply With Quote 04-04-2014, 12:24 PM #4 frank12 Silver Join Date Sep 2011 Posts 4,843 Post Thanks / Like That's terrible. All i can say is that in the two or three times that someone has tried to clone my credit card, the thieves have actually felt sorry for my lack of funds and terrible credit history, and tried to contact me in order to solicit me for help in getting Fannie Mae off of their back. Apparently, when they changed my address and phone number, so many credit agencies started flooding them with phone calls and inquiries, that they actually begged me to change my address back to get the credit agencies off their back. True story. Frank Reply With Quote Post Thanks / Like - 8 Likes, 0 Dislikes mountainannie, sosuamatt, jinty05, nigrarosa, gibbs and 3 others liked this post 04-04-2014, 12:33 PM #5 cobraboy Platinum Join Date Jul 2004 Posts 20,430 Post Thanks / Like Originally Posted by Scrabblebiker I'm wondering if it's safe to walk into a bank and get a cash advance with one's passport. At least they won't have the PIN. I doubt it's possible, but it IS safer to go into the bank and have them do a manual ATM transfer. There are numerous ways to run ATM scams, and if a scam is possible, Dominicans will become the masters... Sorry about your trouble. DR1 Anarchist & Cholesterol Pimp "The older he gets, the better he was." Reply With Quote Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes Criss Colon liked this post 04-04-2014, 12:49 PM #6 Scrabblebiker Regular Join Date Mar 2014 Posts 67 Post Thanks / Like Originally Posted by cobraboy I doubt it's possible, but it IS safer to go into the bank and have them do a manual ATM transfer. There are numerous ways to run ATM scams, and if a scam is possible, Dominicans will become the masters... Sorry about your trouble. It is possible to get a "manual" cash advance on a credit card with a passport by going to a teller inside many banks. That's how I finally got some cash in Azua at a Banco BHD branch. It's also the way I've traditionally gotten cash for most of my other travels in Cuba, Mexico and Central America. Just wondering if it's any safer since no ATM PIN is being divulged. Reply With Quote 04-04-2014, 12:56 PM #7 Xavier_Onassis Silver Join Date Aug 2006 Posts 2,590 Post Thanks / Like They really need to put a chip in ATM, Credit and debit cards. Are they reading the card with some electronic gizmo while it is still in your pocket or purse? If so, would wrapping it in aluminum foil help? I once filled my car at a Sunoco Station. I left the card with the guy at the register, filled it up then came back, signed the receipt, took my card and left. My statement read TWO purchased of 12 gallons of Diesel on the same day. I wrote the credit card company, deducted the second charge from the payment and returned it by mail. I heard no more about it, and didnlt use the card for over a month. The next bill was for $0.00. I heard nothing from the CC Company.
Highlighted
Thank you all for the prayers and good wishes. I sent USAA several emails with all my infos but still I am in the hole. I hope the CEO at times review these concern or complaints or praise from members.
Highlighted
They won't help. Their policies are set up to protect them and leave you out in the cold. In combat, we would always help our wounded. USAA would leave them to die. My opinion is that they are a bunch of REMF's. Good luck to you.
Highlighted
Thanks I file the complaint, hopefully they will help