Suzie,

I unfortunately do not work in the bank and do not have access to this type of information. I can however review this with the bank and if needed, can have someone reach out to directly to you. Let me send this over to our banking partners for review, thank you for your comment in community.

Thank you.  After several more calls I was able to resolve the issue by them manually updating my information.  The problem that persists however with international usage is that I was issued a chip and pin card.  Which is great....but...the pin despite being set doesnt work.  Meaning I put the card into a chip and pin reader and it doesnt ask for a pin, it defaults to a receipt.  Which is annoying when doing multiple small purchases and often times some machines don't have receipt printers.  Some stores don't even allow non-chip and pin cards.  When doing research on this it turns out that the interaction between the card and the reader is set to a default.  In the US at present the default is to ask for receipt (which is fine at present as much of the US doesnt have pin readers on hand terminals (restaurants, bars, etc).  That is changing though.  However, in the UK the pin is the default.  When issuing chip and pin cards they should default to the pin and if the machine doesnt have a pin pad or reader it will then automatically default to receipt.  So no issue for those in the states.  By having the default be receipt first it does cause a problem overseas though.  

Nothing about this was sent with the chip and pin card, nor is there anything I can find online at USAA on how to deal with this.  So for many they get a chip and pin card and have no idea that its not functioning as it should.  

What I am still unsure is whether this is something you have control over or whether its visa/mastercard which handles the credit cards.

Hi PeteO,

If you could send us a message here at {expired email] with your member number and the best way to contact you (and the details you provided above) we can get you in contact with the right person to answer your questions in depth! Thank you for posting!

Ms. Caban:

Both USAA's guidance on international ATM fees and the responses you have given on this message board are misleading at best.

USAA states that international ATM fees "may" not be reimbursed, but it appears from the information on bank statements that ATM fees *will* not be reimbursed after March 1.

In a paragraph you quoted addressing international ATM fees, USAA states that ATM fees may not be charged by networks with which USAA has an agreement, but it appears from the map at the link provided there are no international locations where USAA has reciprocal agreements. If true, this is willfully misleading and dishonest.

Based on the USAA guidance provided, the bank will charge a 1% fee for international transactions *in addition to* anyATM fee charged by the international bank that owns the ATM machine. Is this true?

USAA customers bank with USAA because they expect your company to be honest and straight-forward, unlike most commercial banks. In the case of international ATM fees, USAA is being neither. 

Further, when I called the bank to seek answers, I got a representative who began her response with "it is my understanding..." In fact, she was completely informed and continued giving non-responsive answers that did nothing clarify the situation. 

'

I suggest that you elevate this to a level where something other than evasive, non-responsive answers is possible.

Because USAA solicits business from military servicemembers and veterans, USAA has a substantial number of customers who are, or may, travel outside the United States. They deserve to be treated like the bank's US-based customers.

If USAA is going to behave like a normal commercial bank, I will take my business elsewhere. If nothing changes by March 1, I will do so.

JR

Member,

I have responded to your comment here.

I understand the frustration completely -- we all have a lot of business we have to conduct with US businesses while living overseas -- much can be accomplished online, but not everything... 

You can pay $6.99 / month to make unlimited calls to US landlines / cell phones with Skype.  I live in Thailand and I have this service PLUS I have an additional service from SKype -- a US-based Skype number so that people can call me (you can choose a number from any area code / town in America).  Even a basic Internet or cellular data connection can support Skype calls (no video required).  It has been a lifesaver to have these services living overseas.  There are other options, such as Google Voice, but I have not found one that offers all the features of Skype to make and receive calls from businesses, friends and family.

So I pay about $100 / year for these two services from Skype to make and receive unlimited calls to US.  Now if only someone can fix the 12-hour time difference to East Coast US... that's my biggest frustration (!)