Highlighted
Contributor

Hello,

My wife and I are a duel military couple. No kids. We're currently stationed at Fort Carson and will be PCSing to Korea for a one-year tour at the beginning of January. Following that tour we'll be going to our Career Course for six months.

Our possessions are all here at our house in Colorado and I want to take a minimal amount of items with us.

Need advice on:

1. What do I do with my household goods? Do I put it in storage for myself or the Army to ship to my next long-term duty station?

2. What are some essentials I should ship to Korea?

3. Do you still receive BAH in Korea? What if you have to live on base?

4. Would my wife and I both continue to receive BAH if we were off-base? Or would one of us receive it?

5. Do we both get COLA?

If anyone has had relatively the same experience, your advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES

Highlighted

Hi,

I haven't had these experiences but the Joint Travel Reg is a great  place to start! I see that there is a COLA for living off base. Check the site for more info:

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/oha.cfm

Highlighted

Bowicz,

Check out Defense Travel Managment site http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/index.cfm. Of course, you can always find many answers on the general site of Military One Source. 

I would recommend joining a Facebook group that is military and in Korea so that you may ask these questions there, too. 

Good luck with your move! 

Highlighted

I just arrived at Yongsan on a 2-year accompanied tour, living on-post, so I can answer a few of the questions for you:

1. What do I do with my household goods? Do I put it in storage for myself or the Army to ship to my next long-term duty station?

Store most; You will live off-post as you are both 1LTs/CPTs I am assuming. Many of the off-post apts are furnished and the Army provides anything not present.  One caution - the bed...I would bring your own as the Army issued beds are literally like a piece of plywood.  Have the Army ship this - they will do storage, unaccompanied baggage, and HHG.

2. What are some essentials I should ship to Korea?

Kitchenwares (the landlords give converters), books, TA-50, smaller furniture that you can't do without, and a few rugs (overstock) as most floors are lino.

3. Do you still receive BAH in Korea? What if you have to live on base?

I can't fully answer this one - I would ask the housing office directly. Email address: usarmy.yongsan.imcom-pacific.list.usag-yongsan-housing@mail.mil

4. Would my wife and I both continue to receive BAH if we were off-base? Or would one of us receive it?

Send this to the housing office.   

5. Do we both get COLA?

Yes, but likely at the single rate for each.  Varies in the 22-25/day range for each.

If you need anything further, just email me at xxxxx.xxxxxxx

Highlighted

Bowicz,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community.

I was able to reach out to a team member with experience in this area to provide these addtional answers to your questions:

1. What do I do with my household goods? Do I put it in storage for myself or the Army to ship to my next long-term duty station? The Army/military service will place your HHG in non-temporary storage. At the end of your Korea tour, you will request that be released to your next duty station. See the Fort Carson transportation office for details, but basically you can leave it all behind at the military’s expense and get it back when you return.

2. What are some essentials I should ship to Korea? Bring your kitchen stuff (pots, pans, dishes), linens and comfort items to make it home. Also, find 2-3 power transformers. Korean power is 220 and on-base power is U.S. 110. You will also need power adapters for your items that are dual voltage. Check to make sure they are dual voltage before plugging them in! (Most cell phone chargers and laptop power are dual these days.) If you live off base, as part of your rental agreement you will work with your base housing office for the options available for “furnished” apartments. They nearly all include at least a bed, sofa and table and chairs. Each base has different options, so it is very location-specific. I recommend getting on the U.S. Forces Korea welcome website to get more information. Also check out Army housing, where you can select your specific installation to go to the right housing office website. Many people bring a bedroom set (Korean mattresses tend to be very firm), a living room chair, and electronics such as TV, which are not usually provided. [Side note: My co-worker lived on base at Camp Casey in a BOQ, and brought a bedroom set, love seat, and TV stand with TV in addition to the kitchen stuff and linens. It worked nicely. Just be aware you have to coordinate with the base housing office to have the base-provided furniture removed. Her husband lived off-base near K-16 and also brought a bedroom set, TV, and a recliner.]

3. Do you still receive BAH in Korea? What if you have to live on base? This depends on where you are going. Are you both being stationed at the same location? It sounds like you have two unaccompanied tours, which sometimes means you are not at the same base (as was the case with my coworker and her husband). If not at the same base, you may end up both living on base in separate BOQs. If you are at the same base, you will likely live off base. Certain bases do have family housing (Yongsan, Osan, Humphreys, Daegu) while others do not (Casey, Hovey, Red Cloud, K-16). For on-base living, families (with children) get priority. For off-base living, you will receive Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA), not BAH. You also receive COLA and BAS. Depending on your location, you may also receive hazardous duty pay.

4. Would my wife and I both continue to receive BAH if we were off-base? Or would one of us receive it? If you end up living on base, you will receive a reduced BAH rate (very, very reduced) and COLA and BAS. Off base, one of you will get a With Dependent rate OHA. Double check with finance on your authorized pay, but this is what I observed with other dual military couples both living off base.

5. Do we both get COLA? You should both receive COLA.

I caveat everything here with “this is my co-workers (Army-ized) experience and perspective, so the best thing to do is dig into the USFK websites for the right points of contact and the right base.” Also, reach out to your sponsor as soon as you can, and he or she can tell you what to expect at your particular duty station.

I hope this was helpful. I look forward to reading the advice from others as well! - Wendy

Highlighted

Thank you all very much for the tips and recommendations. This has definitely helped my wife and I begin planning our move to Korea!