Announcements
Discuss topics related to living, traveling or moving overseas. Share wisdom if you are a veteran, active duty, military spouse or family member. Share your tips and knowledge related to PCSing overseas, Military Space-A (Space-Available) travel, living on or off base OCONUS (Outside the Continental United States). Off topic discussions or comments will be moved to the appropriate thread. Product or service issues will be redirected to an appropriate channel or customer service area. Product reviews should be entered on the appropriate product page. Ask your question about living, traveling or moving overseas and share the wisdom you’ve learned from your international experience.
Highlighted

Traveling to Sweden

Traveling to Sweden

Ltl's avatar User  Ltl  (Opens a pop up layer) Contributor

Am I charged a transaction fee when I use my debit card for purchases at any retailer while traveling internationally)

Re: Traveling to Sweden

USAA Social Service's avatar User  USAA Social Service USAA Service

Hi Ltl! I understand that you'll be traveling to Sweden. When you make a debit or ATM transaction in a foreign currency Visa charges a 1% foreign transaction fee. The 1% fee includes all amounts charged by Visa on foreign transactions.

Also, since you'll be traveling, it is recommended to place a travel notification on your account. We suggest using search and entering "travel notification." On the results page, select MSR "Add Debit Card Travel Notifications."

Or you can use these steps:

1. Go to your My Accounts Summary.
  2. Next to your account, select "I want to."
  3. Select "View all options," then select the following:
  • Debit card - Scroll to the bottom of the page, look under the ATM/Debit Card heading and choose "Add Debit Card Travel Notification."

I hope this information was helpful. Please let us know if you need further assistance. - Ben

Irish37's avatar User  Irish37  (Opens a pop up layer) Contributor

I have been told when I applied for my credit card that there was no forgien transation fee.  Advise.

Irish37 - There are no foreign transaction fees for USAA credit card transactions overseas. Debit cards are charged 1% by VISA, however. I hope this information has been helpful. Please let us know if you require additional assistance with your accounts or have any further questions. - Jason

roach808's avatar User  roach808  (Opens a pop up layer) Contributor

I'm having a hard time finding the fees for international ATM withdrawal fees. 

We're visiting Japan in a few weeks and my friend stationed there says they pay no fees, but I'm not an active duty member and realize there might be a fee for me.

I've tried to find this information on the site, but not quite getting there with the search function.

roach808 - Thank you for your post in our Community. I understand your concern about ATM fees outside of the U.S. When you use a non-USAA ATM, we don't charge you for the first 10 withdrawals for each monthly statement cycle. However, any withdrawals over the first 10 are $2.00 each. Transactions at ATMs located outside the United States may not be eligible for ATM usage fee refunds. Sometimes, we can't determine the fee amount. Foreign ATM transactions don't always give us what our system needs to send the amount withdrawn and the usage fee amount separately. Please let us know if we can assist in any other way. Thank you - Tricia

judypiano's avatar User  judypiano  (Opens a pop up layer) Contributor

Discover card doesn't charge anything AND they cover all illegal charges.

Most Active Posts
Popular Topics
Close Pop-up