Post by International Military Life Community Manager, Courtney Woodruff


Sitting at the public computer station set up in the noisy lobby of the temporary lodging facility, I tried my best to concentrate as service members and their families moved in and out of the building. My husband was upstairs watching our little ones after a long day of in-processing briefings while I polished up the concluding paragraph of my final research paper for the term; our overseas move just so happened to coincide with the last week of the spring semester.


I had been worried I wouldn’t be able to turn my project in on time, but, thankfully, I’d made it with minutes to spare. Breathing in a huge sigh of relief, I submitted my paper to my professor with a note thanking her for allowing me to deliver my assignment by email. I was grateful that, of all the things we had to leave behind in the States, my pursuit of a graduate degree wasn’t one of them.


Moving overseas doesn’t mean having to postpone your educational goals. In addition to online and long-distance degree programs, the Department of Defense partners with programs and universities to bring classrooms to you. Here’s how to seek continuing education while overseas.


Central Texas College Europe (CTC) offers face-to-face and online courses for military I.D. cardholders stationed overseas who are interested in pursuing an Associate of Applied Sciences degree in Criminal Justice, Child Development, Hospitality Management, and more. To view a schedule of courses and current locations, visit


Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) has a selection of worldwide in-person and online campuses offering a wide variety of bachelors, masters and certificate programs. Find the campus nearest you at


The University of Oklahoma (OU) sends revered faculty members to overseas duty stations to give service members, dependents, civilian workers and federal employees with military I.D. the opportunity to earn advanced degrees from the reputable institution. Visit for more information.


University of Maryland University College Europe (UMUC) boasts more than 50 campuses in 15 countries across Africa, Europe and the Middle East. Students are able to take online courses, learn in the classroom or participate in a hybrid educational environment to complete programs in Cybersecurity, Psychology, and Liberal Arts and Communications, just to name a few.


In addition to the universities listed here, many U.S. based schools offer online degree programs and on-site courses at specific locations in Europe. If you can’t find a particular school or degree program you’re interested in, visit your installation’s education office for assistance. They will also be able to help you research local European universities offering programs in English.


Need help paying for school? Websites like and others offer resource information on where servicemembers, veterans and military spouses can find information on financial aid. Search online for additional scholarship opportunities for spouses and children.


Are you looking to pursue a degree or certificate program while you are stationed overseas? What roadblocks are standing in the way of helping you achieve your continuing education goals?


Additional information: 

Check out the USAA – International FAQ

5 Ways Strategic Volunteering Can Help With Job Growth

Working for the DoD as a Civilian or MilSpouse Overseas


5 Ways Strategic Volunteering Can Help with Job GrowthAbout the Blogger:

Courtney Woodruff is a military spouse, mom, writer, editor and web content manager currently living in Germany. She has a heart for our troops and their families and hopes to share what little she has learned along the way to help others overcome the unique challenges of military life. You can follow her adventures at her blog, Courtney At Home, or through her social media: InstagramFacebookTwitter, and Pinterest.

6 Networking Tips for a Job Change or New Opportunities Overseas