JessandRylee
Contributor

Is my 15 1/2 year old daughter covered on my auto insurance while learning to drive?

4 REPLIES

@JessandRylee, once your daughter has her learner permit she will need to be added to the policy. Your premium will not be affected until she has her driver's license. Best of luck to your daughter and please let me know if you have additional questions. Thank you! -Cynthia

in the state of NH there are no learner's permit - they are just allowed to drive once they turn 15 1/2 with a 25 y.o. licensed driver and a birth certificate - so I cannot add her to the policy yet correct? but the car is still covered?

Oh wow @JessandRylee about learners permit for your daughter and young drivers.  Bet she is excited to start learning how to drive and get her license.  I'd like to review your question a little more by giving me a few moments to research and get back to you with an answer.  ~ Marco

Thank you for your patience @JessandRylee and great question asked.  Reviewing the auto contract for NH, a "covered person" is you or any family member for the ownership, maintenance, or use of any auto or trailer and any person using your covered auto."  Will need to call in to USAA to add your daughter as a member and as a driver when they are starting to learn with an adult in the passenger seat.  It is also good for you to review your current coverage's to make sure there is no gaps for those just in case moments.  As a father of a young driver, we want to make sure our loved one's are covered and we have that piece of mind once they are on the road solo.  If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again through our USAA Community channel.  Thank you for your longtime membership and trusting USAA with your family's insurance needs.  Have a great day! ~ Marco