how do I get my teen a driver's ed discount?


Do you need a special letter after your teen takes a driver's ed course to get a discount on his insurance?


Hi @tag10. Great question! We don't require for you to send us a certificate of completion for your teen driver to be eligible for the driver's training discount (DTC).  


To qualify as an acceptable course, the DTC course must be approved by the State Department of Education or other responsible agency and:

  • Include classroom instruction (which may consist of simulated driving training), and actual driving experience:
    • 30 hours classroom instruction and 6 hours of actual driving, or
    • 30 hours classroom instruction, 3 hours of actual driving and 12 hours of approved simulated driving training
  • Taught by a state-certified instructor or administered by a state-approved commercial driving school, high school, or college.

For your convenience, you can view your auto policy anytime by going to your My USAA tab and selecting your policy. You can update your discounts by selecting "Discounts & Savings."


Hope this information has been helpful. If you have any additional questions, please let me know. Thank you for choosing USAA! ~ Stacy