do you charge a fee for moving - ie changing addresses on auto and renters

miller4
Contributor

do you charge a fee for moving - ie changing addresses on auto and renters

3 REPLIES

Hi @miller4! We certainly don't assess you with any fees to update your auto and renter policies after your move. For your convenience, you can update your information online anytime by using the following instructions: 

To update your mailing address: Go to your My Accounts Summary page > Select your name at the top > Select Profile & Preferences. Once on your profile summary, select Edit next to Address Information

To update your auto policy with your new mailing address, go to your My Accounts Summary page and select your Auto Insurance Policy. Once on the Account Summary screen, select Edit next to Vehicle Location. 

To update your renters policy with your new address, go to your My Accounts Summary page and select your Renters Policy. Once on the Account Summary screen, select Update My Address.

Please note that your insurance rates may vary, depending on where you live. If your premium costs more after a move, it's usually due to higher claim costs in your new location. Other examples of factors that can affect your rates are population density (urban areas tend to be more expensive than rural) and household driving history. 

I hope this helps and wish you a safe move! If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate let me know. If you prefer to further discuss your policies, please chat or call us by selecting Reach a Representative/Ask USAA at the top right and then select the drop down menu, then select Chat or Call. To protect the security of your account, I won't be able to further address it here and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Thank you for choosing USAA!  ~ Stacy 

Nope , already been told cost is less for new area - But for some reason , was also told there was a 140 surcharge for the change in policy.  which sounded off and weird to me.

Wow, @miller4, that's definitely great to hear your premium is going to be less in your new area! I can  also certainly understand your concerns about that surcharge. If we can help further address it with you, please don't hesitate to call or chat with us when you have a chance so you know what your premium includes. Thank you! ~ Stacy