Trail Runner1
Contributor

My father, who is deceased, was honorably discharged from the US Navy after 20 years of service in 1979.  I don't believe he ever had USAA auto insurance.  My brother, who was in the US Navy reserves was able to receive USAA auto insurance, and currently has USAA auto insurance.  My father-in-law, who is still alive, served in the Marines but does not currently have USAA insurance.  I have never served in any form of the military(reserves/guard/active).  Am I eligible for USAA auto insurance, as the result of my father or father-in-law serving in the military?  If so, what is the specific criteria required for me to receive USAA auto insurance?

1 REPLY

Hi @Trail Runner1! Thank you for your interest in USAA! Please also accept our appreciation for your deceased father, as well as your brother and father-in-law's service to our country! 

Generally, USAA membership is open to active, retired, and separated veterans with a discharge type of “Honorable” from the U.S. military and their eligible family members. I'm sorry, your brother's USAA membership eligibility can’t be passed to siblings. USAA membership also can't be established posthumously for deceased parents. However, USAA members like your father-in-law can pass membership eligibility to his step-children as well as biological children. To learn more, please enter "Eligibility" in the Search field on top of this page. 

If you believe you may be eligible, please chat with us here online to further discuess while you're logged into your account. When you're on a page where chat is available, you'll see "Reach a Representative" at the top right. Select the dropdown menu, then select Click to Chat. If you prefer, please call us at 210-531-USAA (8722), our mobile shortcut #8722 or 800-531-8722. Thank you! ~ Stacy K.