Highlighted
Gingey
Occasional Contributor

It's been 5 business days (depending on how you count) since my accident on Dec. 18. I have only received 1 phone call from my claim representative immediately following me leaving negative feedback through the USAA app about my claims experience. Seemed like damage control. He told me total loss department is my main point of contact but they have not contacted me despite me signing my vehicle over to them the morning of Dec. 19. I've been calling the mechanic my vehicle is at to get updates since USAA isn't updating me. Literally one person has called me and he basically said I'm not your main point of contact, the total loss dept is. I had to call USAA and offer to give my recorded statement and if I hadn't I'd probably be even further behind in seeing this claim settled. Why am I doing all of the leg work. I would appreciate even a call saying hey we don't know anything yet but we're working on it.

Dear members, does it seem to you that the quality of the claims experience has gone down? My last accident in like 2009/2010 was much easier with USAA. They called me all the time and updated me and gave me info and had a sense of urgency and respect. I can live with not having a car, but I need someone to talk to me to help me set my expectation, otherwise, I have to do all of the work and I grow resentful and then I leave. My husband has been reading many reviews across the internet about the dwindling reputation. 

Most Helpful

Update: the claims dept. and the total loss dept. miscommunicated and didn’t know that my car was at the co parts facility from 12/22/18 – 1/2/2019. It has been repairable since 12/22/18. I was made aware of this on 1/2/19. I was told yesterday (1/3/19) that it would be towed about 40 miles from the co parts facility to my mechanic either by yesterday or by this morning. The mechanic is closed for the day now and the car hasn’t arrived. I am not sure of my car’s location.

9 REPLIES

Oh no, Gingey! I apologize for the inconvenience you've experienced and appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. I'll forward your situation to one of my colleagues for further review. They'll be in contact with you to further discuss. Thank you for your continued patience and allowing us this additional opportunity to address your concerns. ~ Stacy K. 

Update: the claims dept. and the total loss dept. miscommunicated and didn’t know that my car was at the co parts facility from 12/22/18 – 1/2/2019. It has been repairable since 12/22/18. I was made aware of this on 1/2/19. I was told yesterday (1/3/19) that it would be towed about 40 miles from the co parts facility to my mechanic either by yesterday or by this morning. The mechanic is closed for the day now and the car hasn’t arrived. I am not sure of my car’s location.

@Gingey Thank you for the update. I have reached out to a subject matter expert to review your concerns. They will be following up with you in the next 1 to 2 business days

No one called me.

@GingeyI have escalated your concerns further. Please allow 1 to 2 business days for a subject matter expert to reach out to you.

“Escalated your concerns” = more waiting time and delays for the member. Your escalation means absolutely nothing to the member and only indicates the incompetence of the previous rep(s)—USAA doesn’t get multiple tries at resolving the member’s needs and should be able to get it right at each point of care, initial encounter or single handler. This “escalation” process is a very poor business model and only means the first USAA rep or prior rep couldn’t do their job.
I had a similar experience-see my recent posts under insurance for their “gross incompetence.” Yes, similarly I had to do all of the leg work and research, did USAA’s job for them—all several dozens of useless, unskilled, no critical-thinking USAA reps starting with their claims adjusters dept. Do your research and VERIFY everything USAA tells you. But even if light of truth, with facts in front of them they still failed to do their jobs and were all argumentative with me. Recommend you shop around for better insurance carrier especially if there’s no difference to being a member, they’re just another insurance business then and the difference will be in the customer service you experience. No one with any real useful information or resolution will call you so you will need to stay on top of your claim with a pen and a thick notebook ready to document your calls, names of reps etc.

Look elsewhere if your problem with them is unresolved to your satisfaction. Good luck!!

Yes- totally agree- have yet to speak with my assigned representative- been almost 2 weeks since accident on Jan 5th- was just told I could fax accident report to them as it could take 30 days for them to receive it-somebody could have told me that on the 7th as I already had accident report- why am I doing all this leg work?? Moved from an Ins company not allowed to name to USAA- really questioning if I've made a good decision- We have our home and umbrella now with USAA-if our home burns down-God forbid-not sure if they would be there for us-I had a minor accident- no contact only when I call them-they NEVER call back!!!!

@Sarge cappy, I regret hearing about the communication trouble you have encountered with your auto claim.  We never want you to feel lost with a claim.  I asked a claims subject matter expert to follow up with you as soon as possible to further address any questions or concerns you may have.  Thanks again for reaching out to us.  ~ Robert