ThisDJ
Contributor
There is a post making it's way around social media stating: ******USAA members****** If your zone is evacuated and you have homeowners or renters insurance through USAA, call them and let them know they will pay for your gas, food and hotel to evacuate. It's called prohibited usage for emergencies under renters/owners insurance. They will cover lodging for up to two weeks. 1-800-531-8722 Is this real?
Tags (1)

11 REPLIES

@ThisDJ, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Homeowners and renter’s policies can vary state-to-state. We ask our members to review what’s covered in their policy or visit our mobile app, USAA.com or call directly for questions they may have. - Ina

So is it true?  You did not quite answer.

@DrStrang, thank you for asking for clarification.  Homeowners and renter’s policies can vary state-to-state. We ask our members to review what’s covered in their policy or visit our mobile app, USAA.com or call us directly with questions they may have.  Be safe and keep us posted. - Ina.

Great job cutting and pasting your first answer USAA.

They cannot give you a yes or no, because it depends on what your specific policy covers. Not every policy under USAA coverage has prohibited usage. You have to call them to verify if your policy does or does not. 

KEEP IN MIND: THEY ARE VERY MISLEADING about this. If your area is under MANDATORY evacuation, you would assume your expenses would be covered, as the state has decided that it would not be safe for you to stay. 

But it's not that simple with USAA. You have to be under mandatory evac but ALSO there HAS to be verified damage to your home or other homes in the area for you to qualify for reimbursement. Makes ZERO sense at all, as once you are evacuated what actually happens with the storm is completely out of your control, as hurricane paths can change and are very unpredictable. So if you are evacuated, pray that someone has a tree down on their home or a broken window so that your expenses are covered.  I think it's a terrible rule, as there will absolutely be families who cannot afford to leave unless they are reimbursed for expenses...and knowing that they cannot guarantee that there will be damage in their area, they may end up staying in unsafe conditions. 

Thank you for explaining this. I called so I could relay this to most of the groups on Facebook because it has been put out as if they will just give you money back for having to leave. We left and I’ll be out $600 if there is no damage but it was mandatory for our part of the county.

Again, thank you for explaining this to the person asking.
This is not true, just talked to USAA. They told me to use my government charge card and the military would pay me back. Please do not do that you will not be reimbursed.
If you use your military charge card you have to verify first with your Comand... some branches announced that the card can be used only in certain radius to be reimbursed for lodging and perdiem.... not all branches allowed the usage of the card