Frequent Contributor
So I put in to get a quote for car insurance from USAA, thinking that just maybe they have started thinking that they should offer some benefits for being a 30+ year member. But no, what used to be a bargain has now turned into one of the more expensive auto insurance companies in the market. So really there are no benefits to being a member, my suggestion to everyone is shop around you will be surprised. My current insurance company, with much better coverage,beats them by $250 for a year coverage. So I guess the old adage of strength in numbers no longer applies.

6 REPLIES

So what’s the point of the usaa insurance ad with the pit crew? They don’t pump your gas, they don’t pay for your gas, they don’t get or pay for your snacks, they don’t check your tire pressure, they don’t check your oil level, they don’t clean your windshield, but they do charge high rates for car insurance.
It’s not a glitch, it’s USAA’ s corporate decision to ruin what was a great company to be affiliated with, now I don’t tell anyone about them.

Hi @proud 7th cav vet. We certainly appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts with us. While we're unable to price match since our rates are based on our experience with claims our members are filing, we'd certainly hope you allow us another opportunity to further review the policy quote with you. We certainly want to help you find a policy that works best for your auto insurance.   

When ready, please don't hesitate to chat with us online while you're logged into your account. The best way to have a review done so we can help would be to chat with us. When ready, choose Contact Us. There you can choose the chat feature and our live agents will be happy to go over all your options. If you prefer, please call us at 210-531-USAA (8722), our mobile shortcut #8722 or 800-531-8722. Thank you! ~ Stacy

@USAA - It is my understanding that increasing market share is part of your all out advertising blitz - perhaps instead of worrying about quantity USAA should have been more concerned with quality.  Many members have stated that they are going elsewhere and finding cheaper rates - if they can do it, why isn't USAA able to do it?  

NSueZ, Maybe USAA knows it doesn't need to change and can afford to lose customers while maintaining a profit margin. I believe the USAA brand is becoming less important as they continue moving away from what made them one of (if not) the best in the business a long time ago--competitive rates, quality and commitment to its members. Recent violations of Consumer Protection Laws only highlights that trend, and I seriously doubt we'll see any real changes or improvements. I removed all my financial/investment assets from USAA a couple years ago--many of the reasons already highlighted by members on this website. My auto/homeowners insurance business could be next after my latest renewal. The discount numbers listed in their renewal packages are just a facade to make people think they're getting a great deal. The more I look at those numbers and compare them with my auto coverages ($1K deductibles, no PIP, no rental, etc. ) for my 15+yr old vehicles--the more I feel that USAA's rates are less competitive in today's market. Same goes for homeowners insurance. A 2%+ deductible still earns you a higher premium with each policy renewal. If that doesn't get you, their home replacement/repair cost models kick in to remind you that you need more coverage. That's assuming your claim adjuster doesn't give you the runaround when it's actually time to file a claim. That's where they're going to make the big returns. Make you pay a lot for their premiums and then make it challenge for you to recover when you ask them for help. They believe their company name and unwavering support for military families (as emphasized in their ads but many might disagree) is sufficient justification for the price of their premiums.  USAA's model might not be that different than what other companies practice--but maybe at least your wallet isn't being emptied out as quickly by those companies. :-)

This is what Stuart Parker has done to USAA.