Auto Insurance for College Student without a Car


My teenage driver is going away to college without a car (her car will be sold). What type of auto insurance should she have if she only drives occasionally (e.g.: when in town for holiday)?


A truly great question, @kidincollege! You must be very proud of your child! In all states besides NC & HI, when a financially-dependent student without a vehicle leaves home, USAA is empowered by state guidelines to offer an "Away at School" discount which saves quite a bit on their individual cost in the overall premium of your auto insurance policy. It would, in turn, still allow them drive any vehicles on your policy while on official school breaks including summer break. :) ~ Steven