07-04-2014 04:00 AM
It’s hard to account for everything that comes with buying a new home. We hope this week of tips will help prepare you for the responsibilities that come with homeownership.
34. Take a video of each room. You can present that or photographs to the insurance company as evidence of the contents of the room in case of a fire or other damage.
35. Expect expenses to be more expensive than you thought. “Younever truly understand how much money you will spend on your home until you own one,” says Scott Halliwell, a Certified Financial Planner™ with USAA. Factor in necessary purchases like window coverings, landscaping equipment and a well-stocked toolbox, plus periodic maintenance items like air filters.
36. Prepare for the worst. “You always need to know what potential hazards can occur in your market,” says Candy Welch, vice president of relocation for ERA Wilder Realty, a Columbia, South Carolina-based firm that participates in the USAA MoversAdvantage® program.“Are you on an earthquake fault, are you in an area susceptible to brush fires, or do tornadoes happen often?”
According to the National Flood Insurance Program, the average flood insurance premium costs $650 annually, a small price compared to the cost of rebuilding an entire home.
37. Think security. Protecting your family is critical. ADT Home Security offers USAA members a discount on installation.  Plus, a security system can save you money on your USAA homeowners insurance premium.
38. Know your renewals. If the home has a termite or stucco bond in place or an alarm system contract, “don’t depend on the company to notify you prior to the renewal date,” Welch says.
The ADT home security program for USAA members is offered by ADT Security Services, Inc. Two-year monitoring agreement required. All prices, terms and conditions subject to change. For conditions, restrictions and license information, please call or visit usaa.com and select Shopping and Discounts.
©2014 ADT LLC dba ADT Security Services. All rights reserved. ADT, the ADT logo, 800.ADT.ASAP and the product/service names listed in this document are marks and/or registered marks. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. License information available at www.ADT.com or by calling 800.ADT.ASAP. CA ACO7155, 974443; PPO17232; FL EF0001121; LAF1639, F1640, F1643, F1654, F1655; MA 172C; NY 12000305615; PA090797; MS 15019511
Use of the term “member” or “membership” does not convey any eligibility rights for auto and property insurance products, or legal or ownership rights in USAA. Ownership rights are limited to eligible policyholders of United Services Automobile Association.
Membership and product eligibility and underwriting restrictions apply and are subject to change.
MoversAdvantage® is offered by USAA Relocation Services, Inc., a licensed real estate broker and subsidiary of USAA Federal Savings Bank. Program may be unavailable for employer- sponsored relocations. Not available for transactions in Iowa or outside the US. This is not a solicitation if you are already represented by a real estate broker.
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. owns the certification marks CFP® and CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ in the United States, which it awards to individuals who successfully complete CFP Board's initial and ongoing certification requirements.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.