06-30-2014 04:00 AM
Since USAA members Jeremy and Nancy Malczyk took the plunge into homeownership in 2013, the couple have faced some of the hurdles that come with the first year. “I love our house…but for Jeremy, it is filled with stress and anxiety,” Nancy says, referring to the aging boiler, cracked driveway and outdated kitchen.
Preparation and care can make the difference between costly headaches and home sweet home. For the next five days, we will cover 39 tips to help you enjoy your big investment. Today, tips 1-8.
Get to know your home’s systems
A lot of things make a house a home. Understand the systems in your home and how they operate.
- Change air filters for improved cooling and heating efficiency.
- Find the water shut-off valves to help protect against damage from leaks.
- Ask how your sprinkler system operates to reduce water waste.
- Know the location of your heating, ventilation and air conditioning system.
- Understand how your kitchen appliances work.
- Locate all the smoke detectors and change the batteries regularly.
- Familiarize yourself with the alarm system keypad and contact the monitoring company.
- Learn where your gas meter is and who provides your service.
Tomorrow: Check back for tips 9-15.
Use of the term “member” or “membership” does not convey any eligibility rights for auto and property insurance products, or legal or ownership rights in USAA. Ownership rights are limited to eligible policyholders of United Services Automobile Association.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.