Moving To Fort Bliss, TX?

Moving To Fort Bliss, TX?

Chazz Pratt's avatarChazz PrattNew Member

If you're moving to Fort Bliss, TX and have any questions, please let me know as I grew up there and travel there often on business.

Re:Moving To Fort Bliss, TX?

emilie yonker's avataremilie yonkerNew Member

Yes ! Hello i am moving to ft bliss texas this july 2011. We have not recieved our paper oders since my husband is at ft gordon at the moment. We have not recieved any straight answers on the whole pcs thing. my husband was in the marine corps before we joined the army so this whole army thing is new to me and the army seems to do things differently then the marine corps did. any information that you could give me would be totally beneficial. We also have an 8 year old girl and a 5 year old boy and a 1 year old girl and 3 month old boy .Thanks emilie .

BrianaHartzell's avatarBrianaHartzellOccasional Contributor

Emilie, Thank you so much for stopping by and posting a question! Sounds like you will have your hands full with this move, especially with four little ones!! I thought this review of Fort Bliss was helpful, I found it on Army Wife Network; http://www.armywifenetwork.com/?p=3456 And this link form the Fort Bliss MWR has some good relocation information: http://www.blissmwr.com/relocation/ Hope these help!

Chazz Pratt's avatarChazz PrattNew Member

Brenda: I guess the answer to your housing question is best answered by Fort Bliss. They maintain lists for those who await Housing and can tell you what the availability and wait-times are if any. As far as living Off-Post, El Paso is a relatively inexpensive place to live. If you decide to rent or buy property, you can get a lot of house for your money there. As far as distance to Fort Bliss from your potential home, whether On-Post or Off-Post, you can pretty much get from the furthest parts of El Paso to the Main Gate in less than 30 minutes in most cases. You have several freeways and loops that can take you anyplace rather quickly. Specifically, Interstate 10 East/West, US 54 (a.k.a. Patriot Freeway) that runs North/South and closest to at least 2 Fort Bliss Gates, and Loop 375 that runs from Northeast El Paso to East El Paso while passing several gates. It's much easier to navigate than I've tried to explain here. As far as schools, I'm told the On-Post Schools are very good. You might ask around about those. Off-Post offers 3 school districts; El Paso Independent School District, Ysleta Independent School District, and Socorro Independent School District. Lots of private schools, charter schools, and religious schools can be found in El Paso too. As far as your Accounting background, there may be some opportunities on or close to Fort Bliss. Several companies have their headquarters or regional offices in El Paso. You may wish to check out the El Paso Chamber of Commerce or one of the other 2 Chambers for more information on things outside the post. Spouse assistance can be found on Fort Bliss as well. My Friend Brianna Hartzell who serves as the PCS Community Manager for this Blog may have more to add.

ArmyWife021010's avatarArmyWife021010New Member

My husband and I are currently at Fort Bliss right now. We will be PCS'ing to Fort Richardson, Alaska soon though. Make sure you get in contact with the housing office, so that you can get on the base housing wait list, if that is what you want as far as housing. I would suggest it, as housing is hard to come by around here lately. Get in contact with ACS here on Fort Bliss and they will give you the number to base housing. I'm pretty sure this is the number for ACS: (915) 568-7088 The army also gives sponsors. They help incoming soldiers and their families adjust, as well as welcome them, and show them around base. You can request those if you choose. Craigslist posts a lot of available housing and its a good thing to check into if your not wanting base housing. Just look at the El Paso tab. If you have any other questions, you can email me at: dana.lester@ymail.com and I would be glad to help you out. :)

helloclaudia's avatarhelloclaudiaNew Member

I am currently stationed at Ft. Bliss. I arrived here a year ago from Ft. Stewart, GA. When I arrived here at Ft. Bliss, the hardest thing to find was a place to live. It is also a good idea to have an updated map on your GPS (if you have one). I had 10 days of PTDY and it took a while for me to find an apartment. I suggest you start calling places before you waste your gas and time to drive around. I have a 5 pound toy poodle which made it a little more difficult to find an apartment. On post housing wasn't too helpful either since there is a long waiting list. I suggest as soon as you get your orders to send them to Ft. Bliss housing so you can get on the list. Ft. Bliss is definitely not like GA, it is a big city. Ft. Bliss has changed a lot in the past year. Good luck with your move.

helloclaudia's avatarhelloclaudiaNew Member

I am currently stationed at Ft. Bliss. I arrived here a year ago from Ft. Stewart, GA. When I arrived here at Ft. Bliss, the hardest thing to find was a place to live. I had 10 days of PTDY and it took a while for me to find an apartment. I suggest you have an updated map on your GPS (if you have one). I have a 5 pound toy poodle which made it a little more difficult to find an apartment. On post housing wasn't too helpful either since there is a long waiting list. I suggest as soon as you get your orders to send them to Ft. Bliss housing so you can get on the list. Ft. Bliss is definitely not like GA, it is a big city. Ft. Bliss has changed a lot in the past year. Good luck with your move.

brendaliss's avatarbrendalissNew Member

Hello Chazz and thank you for offering us with your assistance. This will be my first PCS, and we are moving during the month of August to Fort Bliss. I'm from NJ and I don't have anybody there in TX. I have two kids, boy 9 and girl 4. I'm not quite sure if we should leave on-post or off-post. What do you suggest? Also, do you know anything about elementary schools on post? or do they have to attend an off-post school? I think their school and of course the community/neighborhood where we choose to live are my main concerns. Any suggestions? Also, I have a BA- Accounting, is it hard to find a job on-post? Thank you in advance, Brenda

BigHaynie's avatarBigHaynieNew Member

Several spouses have left info on http://militarydutystations.com/bases/fort-bliss/ Feel free to stop by and take a look. Chazz, it would be great if you stopped by the website and left some information there for others. Regards. Susanna

BrianaHartzell's avatarBrianaHartzellOccasional Contributor

This review of Fort Bliss, from Army Wife Network, also has some great information about the resources on base. http://www.armywifenetwork.com/?p=3456