Highlighted
Contributor
what is a good credit score to get a VA loan.

2 REPLIES

Highlighted

Big Bull;

Welcome to the USAA Member Community Forum.

Thank-you for your service.

Now as for your post and question.

1. First of all lets set one thing straight. The VA has no minimum credit score requirement; instead VA requires a lender to review the entire loan profile to make a lending decision as shown here. (PDF) **(External Link)

2. That said, most Lenders, like USAA, do require a minimum credit score to get a VA Loan. Here is a quote found on the internet here. **(External Link)

A credit score is a mathematical calculation that assigns a number for you between 300 (worst scenario) and 850 (best scenario). This number is used to determine an individual's credit worthiness and the likelihood that you will pay your debts. The lower your score the “riskier” lenders view you therefore the harder you'll likely find it to get a loan.

VA Loan Providers typically shy away from anyone with a FICO Score lower than 620. Even though a score of 620 is the lowest threshold most lenders will consider 680 is what you should shoot for. For those looking to take advantage of buying a home at historically low prices this could impact your ability to get your dream home while prices are low. Or, for those paying higher interest rates than currently available, this could limit your ability to refinance.

3. More information about the VA Loans and Credit Score Minimums - What All Buyers Need to Know is found here. **(External Link)

I hope I have answered your question.

Thank you for participating in the USAA Member Community Forum.

Highlighted

And there you have it. Thank you, Website Guru, for your reply and search. 

Big Bull, your question posted twice and I shared my personal answer on the other thread. 620 or higher is also what I found when searching the answer. 

Thanks!