Highlighted
Contributor

actually im new here and would like to refinance my home and was wondering if a chapter 13 bankruptcy is going to hurt my odds of getting a loan through usaa?

3 REPLIES

Highlighted

HI divorcedmomof2,

I have asked a mortgage expert about your question and will get back to you when I receive a reply! thank you for posting!

Highlighted

I have a similar situation. USAA does offer to do a mortgage after a Chapter 13. However their guidelines go above and beyond the standards that are actually set by the Department of Veteran Affairs if you are doing a VA mortgage. You have to wait at least 1-2 years after discharge I know that for sure. And if it is a VA mortgage USAA does not do 100% financing unless it is a VA to VA mortgage or if it is a purchase. If you are refinancing from a conventional loan into a VA loan they only do 90%. 

Highlighted

Hi divorcedmomof2,

The short answer is yes, bankruptcy can affect your ability to obtain a loan. The date it was discharged and the resulting credit score are key. It’s best if you call to speak to one of our home loan counselors, at 210-531-USAA (8722) or 800-531-USAA, who can get some additional information so that you are able to discuss this in greater detail. I hope this helps! Thank you for posting!