I keep getting advertisements branded by my local utility companies for sewer or water line insurance. Is this necessary with a USAA homeowners policy? Do I need a special rider on my insurance to cover this sort of thing? Any advice would be appreciated!


Hi I am wondering the same thing? Did you learn anything? I am looking into it as well. 

@Bucketsss, thanks for your post and I welcome the opportunity to help with your coverage questions. Please private message me with your phone number on file so I can locate your profile. -Paula

I need to know whether I should buy the insurance the water company keeps trying to get me to purchase -- can I get a rider on my USAA homeowners insurance to cover for problems with the water line

Hello, @sammoore. This is a great question. We do offer Water Backup or Sump Pump Overflow endorsements, which are automatically included in our contractions in most locations. In some locations (such as IL, MA, MD, OR, PA, TX, VA, NC) it is mandatory to make this offering optional. I would recommend checking your policy online, via your documents on, connecting with a specialist via chat on, or dialing 800-531-8722 to confirm the status of whether or not this pertains to your situation. However, this endorsement essentially covers for parts A, B, C, & D of your policy up to $10,000 in damage (or policy limits in MD & VA) to your home & property caused by water or water-borne material (sewage) which backs up through the plumbing system from outside the residence premises & water which overflows from a sump pump or sump well designed to drain subsurface water from the interior foundation area. (Note: in Maryland, coverage extends whether water backup originates on or off-premises; Flood, or an inundation of naturally rising water, is excluded from the Water Backup or Sump Pump Overflow endorsement in all locations). I hope this information is helpful!


Please, feel free to connect with us via PM if you have further questions. ~ Steven

jpurrs, did you ever get an answer from USAA? I've been getting these letters as well, and I'm really curious if USAA or any insurance company covers this, other than the one sending the letters.

Hello @rwoodvet, so that we may access your account and provide more info, please send us a private message. I'm happy to review your policy details. Thank you for your time. -Lori

Yes, add this endorsement. It covers off site back ups as well as some coverage due to sump pump failure
The line itself or the pump aren’t generally covers