I just applied for an IRRRL and USAA wanted more documents for it than I remember submitting for my original home loan they approved 11 years ago. When they required information on a property I own outright that’s next to my primary property, that’s when I called a time out. That property has nothing to do with my VA home loan. I had a little bit of a heated exchange on the telephone with the USAA employee where I was told that all the documents and an appraisal are required by the lender (USAA). I told her to stop my application and the conversation ended.
My home is valued at $294k, loan was for $146.700, credit score is 800+.

These are the documents required for the so-called stream-lined loan.
Most recent pay stub
Proof of retirement income
Proof of VA benefit income (100%)
Proof of property insurance (USAA)
Most recent mortgage statement
Mortgage payment history
Name, address & phone phone of closest relative
Payment for appraisal

For my Free & Clear Property at Lot 280 -
Provide most recent tax bill
Insurance
HOA dues bill
*Must include street address (doesn’t have one, told them this)

4 REPLIES

The reason I said unfair is because I know someone who initiated an IRRRL with USAA a couple weeks ago but all she and her husband had to submit was their latest mortgage statement, proof of insurance and contact info for the nearest relative.

Time to find another lender.  I must get 1 or 2 IRRRL solicitations a day from multiple companies.  The claimed benefit is "no documentation" along with the reduced payment.  It sounds like the rep you spoke with didn't understand what you wanted to do.

Hello.  I am looking up the VA IRRRL Refinance guidelines and will get back to you shortly.  Thank you for your patience.

Hi @fillyok 

Please bear in mind, the mortgage industry has had a lot of changes since 2015 (with TRID and RESPA TILA) and USAA is required to follow mortgage regulations in order to remain a compliant company.  With this being said, there are a lot of factors that determine when a VA IRRRL streamline refinance allows "limited documentation" vs a credit qualifying application that requiring credit underwriting and "more documentation" to be provided.  The person you are referring to who initiated an IRRRL a couple weeks ago may not have had the "same factors" as your IRRRL loan application.  I pulled up your IRRRL mortgage application, and noticed a few things that require "credit underwriting" therefore more documentation is required to be provided for your loan.  Below is information copied directly from "Chapter 6" of the VA Lender Handbook:

An IRRRL is a VA-guaranteed loan made to refinance an existing VA-guaranteed loan, generally at a lower interest rate than the existing VA loan, and with lower principal and interest payments than the existing VA loan.  

The principal and interest payment on an IRRRL must be less than the principal and interest payment on the loan being refinanced unless one of the following exceptions applies:

• the IRRRL is refinancing an ARM,
  • term of the IRRRL is shorter than the term of the loan being refinanced, or
  • energy efficiency improvements are included in the IRRRL.

If the monthly payment (PITI) increases by 20 percent or more, the lender must:

• determine that the veteran qualifies for the new payment from an underwriting standpoint; such as, determine whether the borrower can support the proposed shelter expense and other recurring monthly obligations in light of income established as stable and reliable, and
  • include a certification that the veteran qualifies for the new monthly payment which exceeds the previous payment by 20 percent or more.

Although VA does not require an appraisal or credit underwriting on IRRRLs, any customary and reasonable credit report or appraisal expense incurred by a lender to satisfy its lending requirements may be charged to the borrower and included in the loan.

No credit information or underwriting is required unless:

• the loan to be refinanced is 30 days or more past due (see section 2 of this chapter) or,
  • the monthly payment (PITI) will increase 20 percent or more.

I hope this helps explain things better.  Please let your Loan Processor know if you change your mind and would like to proceed with your VA IRRRL application ASAP, otherwise it will be processed for the withdrawal per your request.  Thank you for being a loyal USAA member for 18 years! - Heather