Highlighted
Contributor

My husband and I make a good income but currently rent in San Diego, a high rent city and want to buy a home.  The only debt we have is my student loan debt of $30,000, with a monthly payment of $550.  We can afford the monthly payments of a mortgage and have been pre-approved but don't have enough downpayment to make the purchase. We have 6 months emergency fund and FICO scores between 790-820.  Do you recommend that we focus all of our extra money on paying the student loan off or should we put the extra cash into savings for the downpayment?  I currently pay the $550 month minimum plus and additional $500 towards the student loan.  Please help in getting us into a house in the quickest way possible. 

3 REPLIES

Highlighted

Hi San Diego Honey,

I encourage you to contact our team of Financial Advisors here at USAA who can give you advice based on your specific situation and needs. Its seems like you guys have a great grasp on your financial situation and the advisors will help to make sure you are on the right track!  They can be reached at 800-771-9960.

Oh how I wish I lived in San Diego! The central valley of California is just not the same. Best of luck on your home buying endeavors!

Highlighted

Don't use USAA mortgage services. They are terrible. You are better off using a local lender. I found that USAA's mortgage advisors are terrible and their fees are significantly higher than other banks we contacted. Good luck though. 

Highlighted

Read the other reviews on this site (to include my own) on the USAA Mortgage process and then find a local bank or credit union to work with.  You might also try Quicken Loans - I didn't go with them but they seem hungry for business.

If you are a first time homebuyer - don't use USAA.  I was a 3rd time homebuyer and then were difficult to deal with - mainly being unresponsive the closer it got to close and my closing was delayed.