Colorado Veteran
Contributor

Here in Colorado, we get a lot of hailstorms. After a series of beatings this summer, filed my first claim in 30 years. Adjusters came out and were great. Said I clearly needed a new roof. USAA halted the claim. Why? Because a prior homeowner filed a claim for hail damage 10 years ago. I was stunned. They said because they already paid out a hail storm claim on this home (to a different USAA member, 10 years ago), I am out of luck on this one. I said "but it was a different person and a different storm!"

Doesn't matter, they said. It's policy.

I don't get it. What they're saying is if a lightning bolt crashed through this house 10 years ago, and they covered the damage then, they will not cover anything if a new lightning bolts hits today.  

But it's completely different event. 

I think it's unfair. I pay my premiums so that I can be protected for a covered event. Now that I have a covered event, they're saying too bad. We covered that event for someone else years ago. Well if that's the case, hail damage should not be included in my policy but I checked and it is.

Anyone ever heard of something like this? It doesn't sound like the USAA I have known since my youth. 

6 REPLIES

@ Colorado Veteran,

I'd like to have your concerns regarding your claim reviewed further.  I’ve escalated your situation to a subject matter expert who will be reaching out to you to address your concerns.  Please allow 2-3 business days for contact. Thanks~Mike  

Still haven't heard back on any decision. An advocate said she was looking into my case several weeks ago but I've heard nothing. 

USAA has been "reviewing" my property claim since July 21, 2019. As of September 18, 2019, no decision has been made. It's really frustrating as water is now leaking through the roof. We can't get a contractor to work with us without an insurance claim because the entire neighborhood got hit. Everybody's getting a new roof...except for us.

No idea what it's taking two months to process a straightforward claim. What's going on over there? 

@Colorado Veteran I have escalated your concerns further and a subject matter expert will be following up with you in the next 1 to 2 business days. 

You are correct that it isn't the same USAA.

Need to fire Stuart Parker to get things started back on track.

That would be a good start.

Agree, but firings should be across the entire board.  USAA management is totally fouled up, and too many members waste time worring about the NFL.  It’s USAA they should be focusing on....all of USAA.