Open Letter to USAA CEO Stuart Parker from a healthcare worker in the frontlines of the COVID-19 war

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

March 20, 2020

STUART PARKER, CEO USAA

Mr. Parker,

I am writing this letter to you while I have a brief break from my job as a healthcare worker.  I am currently on an assignment in Boston, MA helping battle the COVID-19 virus.  This country is under attack and as a healthcare worker of 35+ years I am determined to stay the course and do my part to help.  What I did not plan on doing was still battling USAA to pay for a claim on my home that I filed over 3 years ago. 

My homeowners claim has not only been drug through the depts of hades and back by my plan supervisor/adjuster- one Mr. Gary Rozzo, but he has made it his personal mission to not pay my claim, even after we entered into the legal appraisal process and USAA was ordered by the court to do so.  I received a check for the amount the ordered court appointed umpire and your appraiser agreed upon.  It was paid by USAA begrudgingly through Mr. Rozzo, who has continued to make the rest of the process a daily nightmare for me releasing a few dollars at a time until I have reached a breaking point.

Over the  last three years while this claim has creeped along at snail’s pace, I have lost my father, my home fell to ruin and I had to pay someone to take it off of my hands at great financial loss, I lost my marriage, my health, and of course my faith in the legal system and USAA’s care and regard whatsoever for their customers.  Once we passed the appraisal process and the court appointed umpire awarded me the amount that my contractor estimated in the very beginning of the claim, I felt everything else should have fallen into place.  However, this has not been the case in fact, the exact opposite has been true.  It seems that there at USAA someone has taken it very personally that the appraisal process was lost and has decided to see just how much longer he can draw this out until I break emotionally and financially.  Let me invite you Mr. Parker to go through my claim.  Look at what I have gone through. Look at the pictures of the damage submitted.  I sent pictures of my belongings before and after the tree fell on my home.  I spent thousands of dollars my own money on contractors and engineers getting estimates and reports to backup those of my contractor’s and appraiser’s numbers and yet, I still sit here three years later with an open claim being questioned about the most asinine things Mr. Rozzo can come up with. 

I challenge you to look at my claim while I am putting my life on the line saving people during this time of pandemic.  I’m asking you for help on my file while I send my time helping others.  Thank you in advance for your time.

Sincerely,

Deborah Pratt, ARRT(R)

Claim # [removed sensitive data]-12

Current address:

Cambridge Health Alliance Hospital System

Cambridge, MA

7 REPLIES

Highlighted

@ Debi P,

Thank you so much for your sacrifices with battling the COVID-19 virus!  It’s disheartening to hear about your claims experience, and I can imagine that this is the last thing that you want to be thinking about as a healthcare worker during the pandemic.  I'd like to have your concerns reviewed further.  I’ve escalated your situation to a subject matter expert who will be reaching out to you to address your concerns.  Please allow 2-3 business days for contact.  Thanks~Mike    

Highlighted

I hope that my letter actually makes it to Mr. Parker's desk.  My father retired after 33 years of service.  My son served in the Army.  My brother-in-law is a retired Brigadiere General in the USAF.  Although I have not served in the military, I am serving now in what may soon come to be known as the epicenter of a warzone against a virus that will change this country.  I have been treated like a second class citizen from the beginning by my claims adjuster from USAA.  It is time for this to close.  Ridiculous was 2 years ago.  I don't even know what to call it now.  February 15th was the 3rd anniversary of the tree falling on my house.  Please help me finish this and close this claim.  

Highlighted

Stuart Parker isn't interested in you.  He was too busy destroying USAA to reap his $4.2 million dollar income from USAA so that he can retire at the ripe old age of 58.  I'm sure he will live a comfortable life off of the millions of dollars he earned at USAA while you are protecting the country and being driven to financial and emotional ruin.  Don't worry though, I'm sure Stuart Parker sleeps well at night because he sure isn't thing about your situation.

Highlighted

Awful..this is just awful. I'm not surprised. Good luck to you and thank you for your service!!!!!

@ wrote:

March 20, 2020

STUART PARKER, CEO USAA

Mr. Parker,

I am writing this letter to you while I have a brief break from my job as a healthcare worker.  I am currently on an assignment in Boston, MA helping battle the COVID-19 virus.  This country is under attack and as a healthcare worker of 35+ years I am determined to stay the course and do my part to help.  What I did not plan on doing was still battling USAA to pay for a claim on my home that I filed over 3 years ago. 

My homeowners claim has not only been drug through the depts of hades and back by my plan supervisor/adjuster- one Mr. Gary Rozzo, but he has made it his personal mission to not pay my claim, even after we entered into the legal appraisal process and USAA was ordered by the court to do so.  I received a check for the amount the ordered court appointed umpire and your appraiser agreed upon.  It was paid by USAA begrudgingly through Mr. Rozzo, who has continued to make the rest of the process a daily nightmare for me releasing a few dollars at a time until I have reached a breaking point.

Over the  last three years while this claim has creeped along at snail’s pace, I have lost my father, my home fell to ruin and I had to pay someone to take it off of my hands at great financial loss, I lost my marriage, my health, and of course my faith in the legal system and USAA’s care and regard whatsoever for their customers.  Once we passed the appraisal process and the court appointed umpire awarded me the amount that my contractor estimated in the very beginning of the claim, I felt everything else should have fallen into place.  However, this has not been the case in fact, the exact opposite has been true.  It seems that there at USAA someone has taken it very personally that the appraisal process was lost and has decided to see just how much longer he can draw this out until I break emotionally and financially.  Let me invite you Mr. Parker to go through my claim.  Look at what I have gone through. Look at the pictures of the damage submitted.  I sent pictures of my belongings before and after the tree fell on my home.  I spent thousands of dollars my own money on contractors and engineers getting estimates and reports to backup those of my contractor’s and appraiser’s numbers and yet, I still sit here three years later with an open claim being questioned about the most asinine things Mr. Rozzo can come up with. 

I challenge you to look at my claim while I am putting my life on the line saving people during this time of pandemic.  I’m asking you for help on my file while I send my time helping others.  Thank you in advance for your time.

Sincerely,

Deborah Pratt, ARRT(R)

Claim # [removed sensitive data]-12

Current address:

Cambridge, MA

Highlighted

March 21, 2020

WAYNE PEACOCK, CEO USAA

Mr. Peacock,

My homeowners claim has not only been drug through Dante’s inferno and back by my plan supervisor/adjuster- one Mr. Gary Rozzo, but he has made it his personal mission not to pay my claim, even after we entered into the legal appraisal process and USAA was ordered by the court to do so.  I received a check for the amount agreed upon by the ordered court appointed umpire and your appraiser.  It was paid by USAA begrudgingly through Mr. Rozzo, who has continued to make the rest of the process a daily nightmare for me, releasing a few dollars at a time, until I have reached a breaking point.

Over the  last three years while this claim has creeped along at snail’s pace, I have lost my father, my home fell to ruin and I had to pay someone to take it off of my hands at great financial loss, I lost my marriage, my health, and of course my faith in the legal system and USAA’s care and regard whatsoever for their customers.  Once we passed the appraisal process and the court appointed umpire awarded me the amount that my contractor estimated in the very beginning of the claim, I felt everything else should have fallen into place.  However, this has not been the case in fact, the exact opposite has been true.  It seems that there at USAA someone has taken it very personally that the appraisal process was lost and has decided to see just how much longer he can draw this out until I break emotionally and financially. 

Let me invite you Mr. Peacock to go through my claim.  Look at what I have gone through. Look at the pictures of the damage submitted.  I sent pictures of my belongings before and after the tree fell on my home.  I spent thousands of dollars my own money on contractors and engineers getting estimates and reports to backup those of my contractor’s and appraiser’s numbers and yet, I still sit here three years later with an open claim being questioned about the most asinine things Mr. Rozzo can come up with. 

SINCERELY,

DEBORAH PRATT, MS, ARRT(R),(CT),(IR) 

Long Tine USAA Member

Cambridge MA

Highlighted

I feel for you. I had the same type of incident happen to me except my neighbor's tree (my sons) fell on my car. He and I both are insured with USAA, (me-over 40 yrs.) We both called and they told us that it was an "act of God" and they couldn't help us. I have everything I own insured with them. I will take USAA's advice and by the "act of God" I'm in the process of looking for insurance elsewhere and I will be prepared when my policy renewal is due.

Highlighted

You can actually leave USAA now and not have to wait for the renewal.  Your policy will be prorated.