Highlighted

Looking for suggestions on what to do.  We had property damage at our non-primary home in Michigan  USAA sent out a horrible adjuster that didn't even have a tape measure.  He also won't return calls.  We are in a remote area with not a lot of contractors.  USAA did give an extention.  However Michigan literally shut down and no one was allowed to work because of covid 19.  USAA doesn't seem to care the adjusters estimate is half the price to acturally fix our home and doesn't care that covid 19 is affecting finding workers.  Literally have had one say because we are from down state, they won't work on our home.  The biggest concern is USAA hasn't given the appropriate amount to fix our home because of the adjuster and if we don't get it done by said date, USAA is refusing to give the depreciated value that is recoverable.  Because the adjuster was so inacurate, we couldn't even fix it ourselves.  Please help with ideas???  

Most Helpful
Highlighted

Don't worry even without the Pandemic they were not "customer oriented". They don't call back or reply to emails. They are literal horrible. The best answer I can give you (as I am not a professional) is to find a contractor who has or is willing to work with USAA and to be able to give precise itemized bid. I know it's hard to find a general contractor who actually likes to do admin work they like to work out of the office. But that's what I found luckily. And fight them.

The first estimate their unqualified adjuster gave was the difference of $17,000. And that is a problem. One contractor told me that the home insurances give the least amount, barely the amount for a home owner to fix. OMG and the work with military. Don't they know that most of us who have been deployed and retired have a medical condition or several? I retired as a Adminstrative Officer in the Technician Program. I do not have the experience to repair even if I had no medical condition. 

So yes my advice is to get a professional general contractor who has had experience working with USSA. They are still working on my claim since 01 April 2019 and this is 18 June 2020. Covid 19 has nothing to do with their inability to do their job and their non customer relations. They need remedial classes. Or do what I am going to do once it has been settled fire USSA on the grounds the are not fulfilling the contract they had me sign and get another home insurance that the general contractor recommeded to me awhile ago. Come on guys 15 months that should not have taken 3 months to complete....just saying I would have been fired along time ago.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES

Highlighted

@Win270 This is never the experience we want our members to have. I have escalated your concerns to a subject matter expert to review further. They will be following up with you in the next 2 to 3 business days. 

Highlighted

Chris Hauler Business: (810) 533-6183
Business: 9725 Windemere Blvd
Fishers, IN [removed sensitive data]

was hired by USAA to do our write up.  He was polite.  That is the only nice thing I can say.  He rented a car to drive to Michigan leaving all his equiptment at home.  Chris spent approx. 30 minutes in our home and rushed off to drive to another job in Traverse City.  Completely unprofessional.  I tried to call him because there are several things missing from the estimate and he NEVER returned my phone call.   We just want a good faith estimate, someone who actually knows how to do estimates.  We would also like USAA to understand that covid 19 is affecting the state of Michigan.  We were extremely patient with USAA when the leak happened and they could not find a water restoration company to come out, USAA hired an independant company to find a water restoration co who also called and notified me they couldn't find anyone.  Weeks later my husband and I finally found a company to come out.  I can't tell you how bad our home smelled by this time!  We were patient with USAA.

Highlighted

Don't worry even without the Pandemic they were not "customer oriented". They don't call back or reply to emails. They are literal horrible. The best answer I can give you (as I am not a professional) is to find a contractor who has or is willing to work with USAA and to be able to give precise itemized bid. I know it's hard to find a general contractor who actually likes to do admin work they like to work out of the office. But that's what I found luckily. And fight them.

The first estimate their unqualified adjuster gave was the difference of $17,000. And that is a problem. One contractor told me that the home insurances give the least amount, barely the amount for a home owner to fix. OMG and the work with military. Don't they know that most of us who have been deployed and retired have a medical condition or several? I retired as a Adminstrative Officer in the Technician Program. I do not have the experience to repair even if I had no medical condition. 

So yes my advice is to get a professional general contractor who has had experience working with USSA. They are still working on my claim since 01 April 2019 and this is 18 June 2020. Covid 19 has nothing to do with their inability to do their job and their non customer relations. They need remedial classes. Or do what I am going to do once it has been settled fire USSA on the grounds the are not fulfilling the contract they had me sign and get another home insurance that the general contractor recommeded to me awhile ago. Come on guys 15 months that should not have taken 3 months to complete....just saying I would have been fired along time ago.

View solution in original post