We are considering requesting Japan as our next assignment but, I am worried about the pet restrictions! I have read so many different good and bad stories... Anyone out there currently in Japan with a large dog? Have any tips for me? Background: The dog is up to date on all shots and is micro chipped.


This is actually something I have been wondering about with overseas moves... does anyone know what the quarantine requirements are?
We moved to Japan with 2 Basset Hounds (both around 55 pounds) in the late 90s but I doubt that it has changed much. The worst part was landing in the middle of the night with 2 tired, howling dogs in addition to a 9 month old tired, howling little boy. It made customs move very fast! We put them in the kennels at Yokota before heading off a couple of days later to Misawa. The quarantine in Japan was for 2 weeks, I believe, and it was not in a kennel but in your care. Basically you had to keep them in your care, custody, and control and away from other dogs. Be careful tho when changing planes, in Salt Lake City they loaded the 4 dogs going to Japan on the wrong plane. Had the other owner not realized, we would have arrived in Portland with no dogs.
Japan is wonderful!! There are procedures that you have to deal with when you get here, but I don't think it's too bad. As far as the quarantine, on base is considered "quarantined" so it's not hard to fulfill the requirements. You can go to okinawahai.com for lots more information (for Okinawa, though I'm sure the info for mainland is similar!).
depends on what part of japan you move to...you first have to consider that your animal will need to be in a kennel before you secure housing. We did not bring pets over when we moved in 2007 to Sasebo...but had to move to a japanese house that only accepted dogs...took us a month to get that house...spend a month in navy lodge. Kennel on base will cost you at least $25 a day and the hours are limited and extra if they have to come after hours. We moved to yokosuka in 2010 with 2 cats and had to kennel them overnight. Got into housing on day 18...not a big deal since the cats were born in japan...Quarantine is 6 months...if you go to Japanbases.com it is full of useful information about bringing pets over and personal belongings. Good luck...it's a wonderful country and we are considering a third tour..call us crazy but the money is fabulous and the people are great.
This is from KadenaForceSupport.com Helpful Hints For PCSing With Your Pets When PCSing to or from Okinawa, your pet will need to have a health certificate done within 10 days of arrival or departure. Rabies shots must be given a minimum of 30 days, but no more than 12 months prior to your departure. You must have a Health Certificate from a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. A certificate can be acquired from the vet clinic, and is good for 10 days from the date received. This gives you 10 days to reach your final destination. To obtain your Health Certificate, call the Vet Clinic two Mondays prior to your departure to make an appointment. You must bring to your appointment your pet's rabies tag and pet's rabies certificate. If seen by a civilian vet, both your health certificate and rabies certificate must have the USDA raised seal stamped on them and signature of the attending Vet. If seen by a military vet there is no need for the USDA seal. A form 2208 and 2209 are issued instead and are to be physically signed by the attending vet. Dogs must have a current kennel cough vaccination. This means it must have been done at least three days prior to boarding and can't be older than six months. The kennel cough is not a requirement to get on or off island but most pet boarding facilities require it. Please refer to http://www.usarj.army.mil/organization/vet/import.aspx for dog and cat import requirements coming to Japan. FORMS AGREEMENT TO HOLD HARMLESS WAIVER AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK Form Boarding Agreement Form If you are PCSing between 15 May and 15 Sept., prepare to have a back up plan, in case the flight is unable to fly your pet due to temperatures at the transfer point exceeding 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Suggestions for your back up plan: Choose early morning or late evening flights, to avoid the worst heat of the day. Plan on renting a vehicle to drive to your final destination in the event that your connecting flight cannot fly your pet due to the temperature restrictions. Leave a Power of Attorney for a trusted friend, who is still on island and is willing to watch your pet and make arrangements to fly them to you, at a later date. If you are traveling commercially, you will need to take your pet, the kennel, your military ID, flight information/ itinerary, and five copies of your pet's rabies certificate, health certificate, and your orders to the quarantine office at the Naha Airport at least a day or two prior to your flight. The quarantine office is open Monday-Friday 0830-1200 and 1300-17:00. Closed on weekends. If your pet is traveling commercially without you, you will need a USFJ Form 380 EJ, which can be obtained at TMO. The USFJ Form 380 ( Customs Free Import or Export of Cargo or Customs Declaration of Personal Property) is required if a pet is not on your orders or is flying unaccompanied without you. Limit the use of tranquilizers and sedatives. Only use them on the recommendation of your veterinarian. Tranquilizers and sedatives can affect the temperature regulation of the body and cause other adverse effects. Try to travel on the same flight as your pet. If there is a prolong delay, you will be able to walk and feed your pet, and if necessary take the pet to a hotel with you. Be sure that your pet is crate trained. For several weeks before the flight get your pet used to spending several hours in the crate with a comfortable pad and toys. Use a portable kennel that meets with the USDA and airline requirements. Collapsing kennels are very heavy so try to stay away from using them. Freeze water in either the water dish or a water bottle the night before. No food within six hours of departure. Helpful Numbers For PCSing With Your Pets: Karing Kennels: 959-4062 Kadena Veterinary Clinic: 959-1300 (Commercial Phone: 011-81-98-959-1300) Commercial airlines from Naha: Japan Airlines: 862-3311 All Nippon: 861-1212 Northwest: 963-8686 Naha Quarantine Office, Okinawa: 098-857-4468 Embassy of Japan, Washington DC: 02-939-6700 US Fish & Wildlife Service, Virginia: 703-358-2104 (ext. 5423) Quarantine for Hawaii: 808-483-7151
Have you checked on USDA.gov? This is where you can find a lot of info on traveling with your pet. You could also get on the website for a base at Japan and email someone. They may have answers or have you contact a vet there in Japan.
10 years ago we moved to Japan with four cats and three years later we moved back to the states with four cats and three dogs. It's totally do-able. There are even agencies that will help with arrangements (think pet travel agencies). We used Jet-A-Pet, but there are others. And the info on requirements is really easy to find. Good luck!
My wife and I are transferring to Aguadilla, PR. We checked out the housing first to see if our two dog could come with us. We learned that we are at our limit for animals, we also found out that we are going to check the dogs below the cabin. The Mutt is going to be too big to ride in the cabin with us. Check with housing and the airline to find out costs and restrictions on the base.
Go to pettravelstore.com. This site gives you all documents need to transport your pet(s) anywhere in the world. This site give a lot of informationn on getting your pet(s) on import and export, health certificates (blank) that your vet will need to fill out. Airline heath certificates that will need to be filled out. It is at a cost not much for your furry family member. Either you can have them send PDF or hard copy. Just remember with any pet document that needs to be hand written or signed off on BLUE INK!